Thursday, 20 August 2015

A Year In London



It's quite hard to believe that I've lived in this city of ours for a year already. 

It feels like just weeks ago that mon pere dropped me off at my flat, helping me lug bags and suitcases and boxes up the stairs; that I arrived at my new job an hour early; that I got dragged out for supper by friends on my first night; that I spent the first bank holiday weekend sobbing on my bedroom floor because I felt so lonely.

So much has changed since then. And in some ways, nothing has changed at all. 

London is huge. It's easy and difficult and friendly and frightening and hot and rainy and exciting and expensive and boring and just like everywhere else and like nowhere else at all, all at the exact same time.

And so much has happened since I've been here. There have been drunken, inappropriate kisses, and sagas stretching on from there. There have been endless meals out, pub quizzes, drinks in beer gardens. There have been museum trips, and coffees in Soho, trips to Borough Market and a stand-out supper in the Shard. Pancake parties, and work drinks; bruised arms, and bruised hearts; new friends, and old friends.

I'm happier here than I have been anywhere other than home. But it's a lonely city. I have my most wonderful, wonderful friends here- girls I've met through blogging, school friends I've reconnected with, university friends who just can't shake me, work friends (one of whom causes more trouble than perhaps they are worth). But without some people, I'd be lost in this big old city of ours.

I adore living here. Part of me can't imagine living anywhere else. The other part can't wait for the day I can escape, back to fresh air and fields. 

What will the next year bring? Who knows. New jobs, potentially. New houses, potentially. New friends, potentially. I think my favourite and least favourite part of this city is how unpredictable it can be. 

So here's to the next 12 months. London, you're stuck with me for a while yet.

5 comments:

  1. You've described London so perfectly. I lived there for 6 years and after moving away, I missed it so so much - the fact that every day could be a new exploration, but then it could all be so familiar at the same time. I've missed it, which is why I'm coming back! It's an adventure, packed in a big old beautiful city. I'll never stop loving it.

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy one year in London! I've been reading your blog since before you moved there, and can't believe it's been a year already. I'm so happy to hear that you've settled down well, and found A.

    Mimmi xx
    Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second you on every one of your points! I'm 11 months in London now, but I'm near so much green space at the moment I think proper London will kick in next month when I move more central. It can be a lonely city - I blame the amount of time spent on buses/tubes/trains - too much thinking time!
    It's good to reflect on everything you've done and experienced since then - it's a pretty crazy city!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh what an exciting anniversary!! Love reading your blog - it honestly makes me so comforted and I feel like I'm beautiful England going through the ups and downs with you. Can't wait for more posts xxxx

    http://the-lifeofjax.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a year in London. I'm glad it's improved and got better. I know very much how fun and difficult it can be all at once. When it's going well you feel on top of the world in that city. I've just moved back to beautiful Devon after 7 years in London. I love being back but I do miss London at times.

    K.

    www.wonderingthrough.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog