Monday, 16 February 2015

Happiness Is... (Vol. 96)

As I sat in the sun on Sunday, hands wrapped around a poorly made but still perfect cup of tea, I realised I'm in a very good place at the moment. I smiled up at A, who was squinting at me in the sun, and felt so full of life that it was hard not to clap my hands with the pure joy of that moment. 

Sundays should always feel like that, shouldn't they?

After a dreadful day at work on Friday, this weekend started with (too many) drinks with my favourite work colleagues, and rolled into a luxurious, relaxing weekend. It was absolutely exactly what I needed.   Life goes in peaks and troughs, and I'm aware this is a peak- but I'm very willing to enjoy it while it lasts. 

Anyway. This week, happiness is...


... the first snowdrops. On Sunday, we went for a long stroll around the Rookery at Streatham Common, and in the White Garden I spotted my first snowdrops of the year. I love snowdrops perhaps more than any other flower for the simple reason that they are the first real reminder that there is indeed a season other than winter. Here comes the sun indeed. 

... Sunday night period dramas. Did anyone else watch Indian Summers last night? QI mean, it's no Downton, but I think it will fill that void nicely.


... homemade eggs benedict. A is an excellent cook, and we appear to make a pretty good team in the kitchen too. On Sunday morning, we whipped the most incredible eggs benedict- toasted muffins, smoked ham, poached Burford Brown eggs, and homemade hollandaise. We were talking about it for most of the rest of the day. 

.... shared hangovers. After a night of excessive wine (and excessive cheese on toast when I got in) on Friday night, I woke up on Saturday feeling rather worse for wear. Fortunately, my housemate S had been to a work black tie gala and was feeling equally as dreadful as me. Well, they do say that misery loves company, and we both felt better knowing that someone else was feeling a bit grim too. 


... putting chocolate on my porridge. As a hangover treat, I made myself Leon inspired porridge, topped with banana, walnuts, and a good grating of dark chocolate. Well it was a Saturday...!!

... Oh, and giving this space a little refresh!! What do you think of its kind of updated look?!

What's making you happy this week?

6 comments:

  1. I love the updated look! I'm very jealous of yours and A's eggs Benedict, it looks delicious :)
    This weekend I went home to see Mummy and Daddy Pond, that's making me happy at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely to hear that you're feeling happier lately! Knowing that spring is on its way is making me happy too. The snowdrops started appearing back in December where I work but I've now started spotting a few early daffodils and the magnolias are ready to flower - spring is most definitely on its way! I've bought some daffs for my desk at work and our flat too, they really do add a bit of cheer.

    And your blog is looking nice and refreshed! Super cute new sidebar piccie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah i'm so jealous of everyone in the UK sharing spring bulbs coming up and flowering, my spring bulbs are still tucked up (hopefully) asleep under a pile of snow still. Oh I can't wait for them to come up and start flowering (and being able to get back into the garden). My weekend was mainly spent hiding inside from the weekend "high" of -16C :s

    Roll on spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Those Eggs Benny look amazing! I've never tried to make one at home but I never miss ordering one when We are in a restaurant! So jealous of your spring flowers already! We have 2 feet of snow here near Toronto so no sign of them here!
    www.queenbcretiveme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those eggs benedict are indeed a thing of beauty!
    I caught my first snowdrops this weekend and some little peeping crocuses which was very springy and good for the soul.
    Snazzy new layout too, very fresh.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your opening description - I know the exact feeling of feeling so full of life for a moment you feel as though your chest is swelling! I love these posts of yours :)
    x
    www.thesnugblog.com

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog