Monday, 26 January 2015

Happiness Is.... (vol. 95)

I'm absolutely exhausted as I write this, at 8:15pm on Sunday. My weekend went from being completely empty on Wednesday night, to being really rather full by the time it actually swung around. I am totally baffled about how this happened, but it was such a good one.

As a result, I've found it completely impossible to cut list of things that are making me happy down to five things, like I normally do. Instead, I have a list of ten happy things- aren't you lucky!?

Life is good at the moment. It's a little complicated still- but I'm generally speaking in a much, much better place than I was before Christmas, and that's a really great thing. I've been cooking, running, laughing, listening to London Grammar and Taylor Swift, and I've found myself surrounded by some pretty damn incredible people too, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Anyway! Enough waffling, there's a load of that to come. This week, happiness is...

Source
... the man who let me have his leaning spot on the tube when I was struggling to carry two boxes of cupcakes to work on Monday morning. The tube was so much busier than normal and I was clearly having a tough time trying to balance- so he tapped me on the shoulder, and let me have his leaning spot. What a sweetheart!

... my work colleagues, who do things like bring me superglue when I break the handle off my work mug (an Emma Bridgewater beauty in a discontinued pattern!); buy me flowers on my birthday; compliment me on my dresses; shout at people down the phone to tell them that the work I do is "absolutely f**king business critical"; and generally keep me entertained throughout the working day.

... eating pizza for supper two nights running and not really caring about it. Once with N, and once with A. Both are really rather lovely company.

...drunk texting in French. Or québécois, depending on who you ask. Turns out, we were both rather good at it, and it made me chuckle.

Taking a seriously hot shower with the window a little open so I can look out at the frosty street and feel knife slices of cold air against my skin. It's one of my favourite ways to start a morning. Perfect for this time of year too.

... wedding chatter with Jenny and Charlotte. My heart is singing for these two girls, and I adore hearing all about their plans for their respective special days. I love that they run ideas past me (and each other)- honestly, they are both going to have the most exceptionally beautiful weddings ever.

.... seeing my university friend L after eighteen long months and things being exactly the same as always. It honestly felt as though I'd seen her just days before, and that made me so happy.

... scoring my first ever goal in a competitive korfball game. I've scored in training before, but never in an actual game- and this was also while playing for the squad higher than the one I normally play for. I was deliriously happy, even though we lost the game...

... coffee dates early on a Sunday morning. Becca and I went for tea and croissants at a little coffee shop near our houses at 9:30 on Sunday morning. And while I then spent the rest of the day running from pillar to post around social engagements, it was a wonderful, peaceful way to start the day.

... making plans. I have next to no free time over the next two weeks, but that's okay because every plan I have is with someone I care deeply about. And I also made plans for a Pancake Party on Shrove Tuesday this week, and I'm already excited about it.

.... chatting to my brother on the phone at work. He called me on my work number, and we sat giggling at our desks, 215 miles apart, feeling like naughty school children. My boss just had to laugh, because he could see how happy it was making me to chatter to my little brother about wedding favours and stag and hen parties, and the logistics of getting my new iPad (!!!!) to London.

... a new teapot. At the time of writing, I actually haven't used it- but it's a pale blue Le Creuset beauty that I got for £13 in TK Maxx. It would have been rude not to really, wouldn't it!?

What's making you happy this week?

4 comments:

  1. Hello lovely,
    First, I loved reading this, as I do all of your posts! Secondly, I nominated you for the versatile blogger award, which you can check out at hyperactive daydream .
    xo, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had a super lovely week. It's great to hear that you're feeling better than before Christmas! And pizza two nights in a row is definitely acceptable.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh jealous of the new iPad! Good to see you had a nice weekend! You've reminded me to actually try and book tickets back to Cardiff at some point and see some university friends! I haven't done that in so long and its always so worth it. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your "happiness is" series is a truly wonderful idea and I am so grateful to have it to read :) thank-you xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog