Monday, 19 January 2015

Happiness Is... (vol. 94)

Oh, I had the loveliest weekend! It actually felt seriously, seriously long, as I started my birthday celebrations (I turned 25 on Saturday! I feel so old!) on Thursday night with drinks with my work favourites. My "just one or two in the pub" turned into me drinking two glasses of wine, two glasses of prosecco, and three gin and tonics, getting home at midnight and walking into a lamp post en route. My boss kept me company all evening, and needless to say, neither of us felt particularly clever on Friday morning. 

But by Friday night, M, A and I were drinking wine again, so it couldn't have been that bad. I've definitely drank more than I should have this weekend- I have to be quite careful of the cumulative effects of alcohol, even with my medication- so I'm thinking this week will be a much drier affair. Until Friday, that is, when I have leaving drinks for one of my favourite colleagues. Sigh. It's a hard life, isn't it?!

There's an awful lot keeping a smile on my face at the moment, to the point that it was hard to whittle down this list. But this week, happiness is...


... giggly birthday brunches with some of my absolute favourite people in London. We ate croissants and hot cross buns, nibbled berries and sipped juice, while talking weddings, boy gossip, and trying to establish just what is actually meant when someone tells you they are in a "monogamish" relationship. It was the perfect way to spend my birthday morning (and early afternoon. Because the best brunches just run on and on, don't they?).

... champagne afternoon tea. M and I celebrated my 25th with champagne afternoon tea at The Wolseley on Friday afternoon. I honestly cannot recommend it highly enough. Delicious sandwiches, scones with DEVON clotted cream (the best in the world), and the most beautiful, delicate cakes that we were too full to finish, so they boxed them up for us. We were thoroughly spoiled, completely charmed by the beautiful art deco interior, and pretty damn pleased with the final bill. I'm excited for my next visit- if you have an occasion and you're looking for a reasonably priced, delicious, and special afternoon tea, The Wolseley is your place.


... being given flowers. Flowers are my absolute favourite thing in the world ever. So to receive beautiful roses from Charlotte, gorgeous tulips from Becca and the prettiest arrangement from my incredible work colleagues has made me incredibly happy. Can it be my birthday all the time please?

... important conversations. Maybe these aren't actually making me feel happy, but they needed to happen and I feel so calm as a result. Last week, I had a really, really important conversation with someone important, which we'd been putting off for about a month. We both explained our points of view, worked out a way to move forwards, and I for one left the conversation feeling incredibly emotional, but much more settled and comfortable with our resolutions. As a result, I know that we both will be able to go forward in a really really positive way, and maintain our great friendship. And that's the thing that really makes me happy, actually.  (Maybe I'll go into this situation in a bit more detail another time. But for now, suffice to say it' was complicated and messy, but I'm fine.)


... unexpected presents and kisses that make you forget how to breathe. Both of these things have made me super happy in the last week. Particularly the fact that the unexpected present was a Nigel Slater recipe book, and I adore him. And the kisses were pretty damn incredible too.

What's making you happy this week?

7 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a great Birthday weekend :) And that afternoon tea sounds absolutely amazing.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures!!! Happy birthday again :) I'm glad you had a fantastic time celebrating x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though you had a lovely week. Happy Belated Birthday for Saturday! x

    Alix // Oui Je T'aime Aussi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good week :) This week I am happy that I seem to have got my morning routine sorted and haven't been late for work once :) Win. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated happy birthday lovely lady! Looks like you had an absolutely fabulous weekend! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had such a lovely birthday, and that i could be a small part of it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Birthday! Good to hear you are feeling better too and have had the tricky conversation, well done :) I had a tricky conversation this week with my best friend and housemate haha, but I decided to have it while I was out with coursemates and very drunk and rang him crying haha. I was so scared he'd be angry with me for what I was saying but he wasn't he was so understanding and it's good to get things off your chest, even if the issue doesn't resolve immediately at least everything is out in the open. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog