Monday, 5 January 2015

Happiness Is... (Vol. 93)

Two weeks away, feels like the whole world should have changed, but I'm home now- and things still look the same. 

Yes, I'm quoting Dido, but she's right- I've spent two weeks away from London, I half expected everything to look different and feel different when I got back- but it is, of course, as it always is. I'm back at work today, inevitably spending my day sifting through a small mountain of emails and cringing while someone tells me about things that happened at the Christmas party a fortnight ago.

I had the loveliest time at home. Two weeks of relaxation, Mama's cooking, kitty cuddles, fresh air, deep silence- it was wonderful. But I think part of it is the dichotomy between my London life and my Devon life- one is hyperactive and chaotic and the other is calm and quiet. I like the calm as a counter to the chaos and vice versa. 
But as I said, I'm back and I'm pleased in many ways to be here. And this week, happiness is...

... Having a stonking New Year's Eve. I know we all hate NYE, with the expectations and pressure it brings. So I invited J, N, and A for supper. We ate beef bourguignon and drank two bottles of prosecco and three of red wine before stomping up the hill to my local, where we heard a fantastic band play and caught up with people I've known since pre-school, before coming home for cheese and the After Eight game. I may have smashed my phone on my way home, but all in all it was a cracking night with three of my favourite people. This is what we looked like. Messes.

... The Sherlock Holmes board game. J, N and I spent HOURS playing on New Year's Day. It perhaps was a bit too much for our hungover brains, but it was so much fun. I'd highly recommend, it's like Cleudo on steroids. 

... Friday morning, when I was in bed with the cat purring on my feet, a cup of tea in one hand and Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane in the other. It was so perfect!

... Giving my hair and face a break. Normally, I blow dry my hair and put make up on pretty much every day. But over Christmas, I put make up on a grand total of twice, and blow dried my hair only a handful of times, and both are looking far less frazzled as a result. It's lovely!

... the roast I returned to on Sunday night. My housemate S cooked up a storm and made sure five of us are going into the new week well fed. We discussed Christmas, new year, dramas, non-dramas, and everything in between. It was a lovely, lovely return.

... fresh starts. It's 2015, and I am going to be awesome this year. Who's with me?

What's making you happy this week?

5 comments:

  1. i'm with you! i'm going to be awesome as well ^^

    there's so many things making me happy this week: family, fresh linen, new ideas, future plans, food, candles and just one more week of our christmas tree :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same as you after coming home from a perfect two weeks at my parents' house. I felt really sad and lost at first, but as I've readjusted again I'm really pleased to be back. Your NYE sounds perfect - I spent mine in a truly awful pub and drunkenly spilled red wine down the front of my new dress. Not my finest hour! 2015 is definitely the year for being awesome! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome for sure! Isn't it lovely to be makeup free? An bra free?! I had a few of those days over the holidays too! Here's to fresh faces and a fresh new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also like to be awesome this year, let's do this together :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This all sounds gorgeous Alice.How good is "The Ocean at the End of the Lane"!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog