Monday, 29 December 2014

Happiness Is... (vol.92)

Well, Christmas is over for another year.

The presents have been opened, the family have mostly departed, Mama is back at work and I'm left alone at home. It's incredibly peaceful- our little close is a quiet place at the best of times, but the thick frost this morning has completely muffled any sound, and I kind of feel like the only person in the world. It's a lovely feeling.

The car is completely rutted with ice, so currently I couldn't go anywhere even if I wanted to. And the only place I do want to go is for a run- but Sensible Alice has made an appearance and mandated that that isn't allowed until the temperature climbs above 0C (which should hopefully happen somewhere around lunchtime). It will also involve starting by running up a very big hill and I'm a little bit scared of that, so wish me luck.

So I'm planning to spend today reading, exercising, and piano playing. I feel a little like I should be making more of my time off, but being forced to take a really long stretch of time to do nothing is actually really nice. It is Christmas, after all.



Anyway. This week, happiness is...

... family time. Obviously. We always spend Christmas with Mama's side of the family, so Christmas day involved eleven adults, a cat, and a dog. I haven't laughed as much in forever, and it was so lovely to catch up with my cousin and his girlfriend- who I hadn't actually seen for two years, despite the fact that we all said it felt as though we'd seen each other the previous week. I also spent Boxing Day and 27th with Papatron, my stepmother, and Little L, so plenty of family time for me!

... Christmas leftovers. Come on, it can't just be me who loves the post-Christmas meals made up of all the leftover festive meats, salads, and cheese?! They're amazing, and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

... ice skating. Little L is currently having ice skating lessons, and got her very own skates for Christmas- so of course we had to try them out on 27th. I whizzed around the rink for an hour and a half, and impressed Papatron with my skating abilities- considering I'm incredibly clumsy on solid ground, I apparently am "surprisingly graceful" on ice (or so an ex boyfriend once told me). I managed not to fall over, and so I'm classing that as my very own Christmas miracle.

... my new Le Creuset. And all of my Christmas gifts, actually- I was thoroughly, thoroughly spoiled. But the Le Creuset is the one gift I can barely stop looking at- it's blue and beautiful and I am excited to have it forever.

... peaceful thoughts. As I mentioned yesterday, my brain was in overdrive when I first came home. It has now completely calmed, and while I'm sure it will ramp back up as I zoom towards my return to London, for the time being I'm appreciating the peace and quiet.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you've had a nice and relaxing Christmas! It's great to have some time to recharge the batteries. And I'm a wee bit jealous of your Le Creuset - they're beautiful!

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is spectacular! And my goodness Alice just relax and sink into it! You don't need to be doing anything at all, you'll be busy again soon enough, just take some time to enjoy the quiet for now. And maybe do some baking just for you, something you want to bake! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what holidays are for! Relaxing and doing nice things. And when that means cuddling up inside with a good book; why not?
    I told my mum that it feels like a waste to spend my holidays with walks, reading, crafts and some small tasks at home that get neglected during working weeks. We then agreed that this isn't a waste of time but a luxery.

    Happy New Year Alice! Hope it will be a good one for you! I like these Happiness is posts very much by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog