Monday, 22 December 2014

Happiness Is... (Vol. 91)

I'm writing this at gone 1am on Monday. This is not like me- I'm normally fast asleep by 11:30pm, so the fact that I'm still awake has really thrown me. Maybe it's the absolute deafening silence, or the actual pitch blackness- Devon is very different to London- or maybe it's this pesky cold that has been threatening to strike for about a week and seems to have chosen now to leave me sneezing and spluttering when I should be sleeping.

I'm back in Devon now and I couldn't have needed to be here more. I'm actually a little sad I'm not working today- I'll miss a lot of the pre-Christmas, post-Christmas party gossip- but I'm sure I'll be filled in soon. And it's Christmas week!! I'm still here hopelessly hoping for a sprinkle of snow, but mostly I'm just looking forward to some family time and some time where I don't have to think about anything very seriously.

This week, therefore, happiness is...



... Long train journeys. I had a four hour train journey home on Saturday afternoon, and I used probably 90% of that time to just sit and think. I worked through a lot of stuff in my head on that journey, and I'm happy I got the chance to do that. I'm also happy that my journey was completely stress free- the last two years, the train lines to Devon have been completely screwed at this time of year, so I'm incredibly happy that Mother Nature played nice for me. 

... The amazing shower at mama's house. The shower in my London flat is reasonable, but not great. The one here, however, is incredible- powerful, steaming hot, and absolutely great for singing in. Don't judge me, it was a Christmas carols only affair!


... Being back at the piano. Seriously, I sat for two hours straight at the piano teaching myself a new Chopin prélude on Sunday. I didn't get hugely far through it, but focusing on that was exactly what I needed- mostly because it stopped me from thinking about anything else.

... Excellent book recommendations. My friend J recommended The Secret History the other day, and I am SO glad he did. Hands down, best book I've read all year, and I'm only halfway through. I would HIGHLY recommend it. 



... Receiving Christmas cards. I came home to a huge bundle of Christmas cards, and had received a whole load in London too. I'm so happy that people I know still send them- who doesn't love a bit of festive post?! 

What's making you happy this week?


3 comments:

  1. Great little bits there, I think long train journeys are very therapeutic! I figured out quite a lot on train journeys. I hope your Christmas is lovely and healing! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're doing ok sweet, good that you are still looking for the little happy things :) I also need things to distract myself from unhappy thoughts. Bad things can seem so much worse at Christmas 'cos it's meant to be a time of happiness and love, but it'll be OK, it has to be xo
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're loving The Secret History then you have to read The Goldfinch by the same author if you haven't already! It's even more wonderful, in my opinion of course!! Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog