Monday, 8 December 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 90)

Just three more weeks (and a handful of days) are left of 2014. Every now and then, I go "where the hell did this year go?!" and then I kind of remind myself of most of the things I wrote in this post and go "Oh. That's where it went". 

I'm writing this after an afternoon spent entirely in the living room, watching films and trashy TV, writing Christmas cards and browsing for Christmas party dresses online (help me. I can't do clothes shopping at the moment, I don't like myself enough). I feel antsy and lazy and guilty- I'm not good at relaxing, I always feel like I should be doing- which at least is partially responsible for the enormous dark circles under my eyes.

I've spent the last few days being looked after by Mama CupandSaucer. She came to stay, wrapped me up in love, treated me to theatre trips and cups of tea, groceries and a listening ear. It was so lovely to have her here, and I feel slightly bereft now she's gone. But it's less than a fortnight until I'm home for Christmas (and I'm getting daily updates from Mama telling me how many "sleeps" are left), so I'm sure I'll make it, even if I feel like The Little Engine That Could at the moment.

Anyway. I'll stop whinging soon, I promise. I know I'm a bore at the moment, so we'll get back to regularly scheduled programming now. This week, happiness is...


... writing Christmas cards. Firstly, this makes me feel like such an adult- I mean, I know we all wrote the whole class Christmas cards in primary school (didn't we?), but writing proper Christmas cards with notes such as "Hope to see you in 2014!" feels terribly grown up. And secondly, making references to the awesome things my friends are doing feels so exciting. I got to address three cards to "Dr..." and I made references to weddings. Add that to all the cards that are going to homes that my friends actually own, and I'm left feeling like I could burst with pride. I have some superstars for friends.

... doing good deeds. Last weekend, I went to play with Charlotte, and she told Jenny and I all about the coat she desperately wanted for Christmas, but that had sold out online. When out with Mama CupandSaucer on Saturday, I popped into Petit Bateau and found the coat. So I picked it up for her, and I'm popping it in the post today. It's the least I could do for such a gorgeous human, and I hope it makes her very happy on Christmas morning.



... the return of my knitted Christmas tree. Yes, Mama CupandSaucer squashed Noel the Christmas Tree into her suitcase and brought him up to London for me. He's now going to adorn my desk at work for the next two weeks, and I couldn't be happier about it. We've also put up the Christmas tree in my flat, and it has chocolate decorations on it. I haven't had one of those since I was six.

... finally sorting my eyebrows out. Oh my god. I can't even remember the last time I plucked my eyebrows. Finally got around to it last night, and I must admit, I do feel better for it. 

... winning the best offspring/ sibling award. Apologies siblings, I get the prize this week. I trekked out to Toys R Us on a Saturday morning in December, just to pick up the one toy Little L wanted for Christmas this year. It's hideous, and I'm sure she'll be bored with it by February, but for now, I WIN.

What's making you happy this week?

5 comments:

  1. I love that tree - my desk has nothing!! I really need to make a start on Christmas cards, maybe that should be my Christmas task for tonight?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are doing okay my love - I know the feeling well of trying to force yourself to relax, but feeling like there's a million things to be doing. Even when I make myself have some chill time I can't just watch TV, I have to be blogging, or ironing, or doing something else at the same time! Sounds like you had a lovely time with your Mum and that Christmas will really help to get you back to feeling 100% again. (And I'm with you on the eyebrows, I had mine threaded last week and feel a million times better - just ticking something with a visible outcome off the to do list makes me feel more in control - ha!) xo

    Rosie | A Rosie Outlook

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Alice I love that knitted tree, it is just wonderful! I have tinsel up round my desk at work but this is 100% better. I'm glad you had a good time with your mum! Mine is also texting me daily updates, but I'm looking to surprise her as she doesn't know that I can make it to my little sister's graduation on Wednesday! Hehe :) Do look after yourself and try to have some you time- tea, chocolate and bubble baths are the way forward x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're starting to feel better love, I've been down in the dumps too and my mama always knows how to cheer me up :) I don't think I've ever plucked my eyebrows... maybe I should, maybe I'll feel better then haha!
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tree is so so cute! I do hope you feel better soon, some time off over Christmas at home always does the world of good, only 8 days for me now until I am off! Counting down the days :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog