Monday, 29 September 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 84)

As I write this, I am sitting cross legged on my living room floor, laptop on the coffee table with my back against the sofa, Classic FM playing Tango en Skai by Roland Dyens, with a cup of tea to my left, and the windows thrown wide open to let some fresh air into the flat. The room is filled with the scent of the lilies I bought my housemate for her birthday last Monday, and I feel quite peaceful.

It's the first time in weeks I've felt inspired to sit and write something. Anything. I moved to London nearly two months ago, and I completely lost any inclination to write- which is awful, but I was so busy throwing myself into my new life that I just didn't want to spend my free time sitting  behind a laptop. And even if I had wanted to, I didn't really feel like I had a whole lot of interest to say. The whole concept of blogging started to baffle me, and I didn't know why I was doing it.

But this morning, I woke up after sleeping for 10 hours feeling inspired. The sun was breaking through the morning mist, and I dragged myself out for a run. And when I got back, I wanted to write. So here I am!

There's a lot of catching up to do, and I'm hoping I'll be filling you all in on everything a lot more regularly than of late. Feel free to shout if I don't, okay?

But back to the task at hand! This week, happiness is...



... buying flowers from a florist. As I mentioned, it was my housemate's birthday last Monday, and as far as I'm concerned, a birthday isn't a birthday without flowers. There's a lovely florist just around the corner from my house, so I popped in there to pick something up for her. The quality of these flowers proves that it was such the right decision, and I got the warm and squishies for supporting a local business rather than buying flowers from a supermarket. Happy days!

... visits from Mama CupandSaucer. Mama came to see me last weekend and it made me so happy. I loved that she was able to see where I'm living now, and to see how settled I am here. The only thing I don't like about living in London is just how far away I am from my mama- we are exceptionally close, and I miss her terribly. Fortunately, we've already got dates in the diary and I'm now seeing her at least once a month until March. This makes me so happy!

Only slightly unrelated...!
... trying on fancy dresses in Selfridges. When Mama visited, we decided to go and get some ideas for outfits to wear to my brother's wedding. We tried on the most beautiful DVF dresses, and while we decided against them in the end, we both felt so fancy! We're now planning to visit a couple of boutiques to really sort Mama out- Mother of the Groom outfits are apparently quite stressful!

... the return of Downton Abbey! Oh my goodness, it's probably my favourite thing on TV, mostly because of Lady Mary and the Dowager Duchess. (I know loads of people hate Lady Mary but I love her. She's my absolute favourite) I've heard this series isn't meant to be as traumatic as the last couple, thank goodness- I don't think my nerves could take any more drama like the Matthew thing. 


... wearing shorts on 28th September. Yep, I;m wearing shorts today. According to the Met Office, it's officially autumn, but not in my book! I know I've said it before, but I'm loving this prolonged sunny spell. I'm prone to feeling blue when there's too much grey weather for too long, so the more sunshine I can get now, the better I'll feel for longer. 

What's making you happy this week?

2 comments:

  1. It's lovely that you're settling in well in London! You're not alone in your love for Mary by the way - she's an amazing character! And although I'm not wearing shorts, it's been so warm up here in Glasgow that one wouldn't believe we're nearing the end of September.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've been spending some seriously quality time with your mama! I always find spending time with someone you love feels even more special when it's booked it as a social visit rather than just seeing each other around other commitments too xxx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog