Thursday, 10 July 2014

Raspberry Ripple Cake

 

If you've picked up issue 4 of Blogosphere magazine, you might have noticed a little recipe in there from me! It was so fun to put together a little recipe collection with JennyBess, and Sally, and I've been dying to make this cake again ever since. My colleagues have been pretty keen for that too- of all the cakes I've made them in the short six months I've been there, this one was definitely the favourite.

Nothing screams “summer” to me like fresh English berries- probably because every year, we get a glut of them from my grandfather’s garden. I always try to get my hands on a few for some sort of bake, and given that raspberry ripple is my favourite flavour of ice cream, I just had to try to replicate it in a cake. According to one of my colleagues, this cake conjures up sunny days at summer fetes, and I  think it’s perfect with tea in the garden- or even better with Pimms. It would also work pretty well as part of a living room picnic.

When I've made this so far, I've always used fresh raspberries- but I'm sure frozen ones would work just as well too.


Raspberry Ripple Cake

For The Cake:
225g caster sugar
125g butter, softened
125g mascarpone
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g ground almonds
325g plain flour
3tsp baking powder
150g raspberries

Cream the sugar, mascarpone, vanilla and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the almonds, flour, and baking powder, and when just combined, gently stir through the raspberries. To warn you- this batter will be very thick.


Split your batter between two 8inch tins, and bake at 170C for 30 mins, or until they're beautifully golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Obviously it won't do that if you hit a raspberry though, so use your common sense here.

Turn out onto a cooling rack, and leave until cold.



For The Buttercream:
125g mascarpone
100g softened butter
300g icing sugar
100g raspberries

Beat together your mascarpone and butter, then gradually work in the icing sugar. Beat until fluffy, then fold through the raspberries by hand.


To Assemble:

Put one cake onto a serving plate- flat side up, then top generously with the buttercream. Spread a tablespoon of raspberry jam over the other cake, then sandwich together. Dust icing sugar across the top off the cake to finish, and serve in generous wedges. This is best eaten the day it is made, though it will stretch to two days. Just be careful with it because of the mascarpone in the buttercream!

16 comments:

  1. This looks incredible. I may need to make it this weekend. You're always posting the most delicious recipes and then for the rest of the day I'm craving cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make it? If not, you so should!! Hahaha sorry for the cake cravings... i try to give those cravings to others so i don't end up eating so much myself ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh Alice, I'm not even out of bed yet and now I'm craving cake!! This looks insanely good!! I love that you get fresh berries from your granddad, that is so charming! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! Craving cake is the BEST way to start a day ;) xx

      Delete
  3. Oh and I just made myself a cuppa, perfect!
    Looks scrummy.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Goes perfectly with tea!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow. The mascarpone would make for such a delicious richness. I think I may have to try it with strawberries in summer here (our raspberries are just SO expensive, I'm very jealous )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably work well with strawberries too! Though I'd maybe go blueberries or cherries even, as they're quite tart too, like raspberries- either way, let me know how you get on if you do try it!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ta Rosie- it's a good'un, even if I say so myself!

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious! My boyfriend would LOVE this!!

    Marie X
    titchytombie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is making me so hungry! It looks too pretty to eat though :p

    historyloversguidebook.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks absolutely delicious! Raspberry and mascarpone - you can't go far wrong with that :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm smiling looking at your beautiful cake. How can anyone not smile JUST looking at your cakes!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog