Monday, 14 July 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 75)

My apologies for posting this slightly later than usual. I had a week off last week, and it sort of turned into one of the most ridiculous weeks I’ve ever had, involving four days in Barcelona, a spontaneous haircut (nothing too drastic), a break up, my mum’s 50th birthday, time spent playing with  a puppy, driving to London, spending the evening with Bess and Emily, to a day of househunting where I thought I’d found the place I wanted to live only for them to pick someone else, and then driving back to Cardiff crying so hard I had to stop at the first service station on the M4 because Logical Alice kicked in enough to know that driving in that state was not a sensible idea.

So I’m entering this week feeling a little fragile, a little lost, with a lot of worries and a slight inability to focus on anything for very long. Fortunately, this week is also graduation week in Cardiff, and so a number of my friends are up this week graduating from Masters degrees, medical degrees, and optometry degrees. I couldn’t be prouder of them all, and I am so glad they’re here to give me a bit of a boost so I can dust myself off and head back to London on Saturday for another go at house hunting. On that, if anyone knows anyone who is looking for a housemate- I'm nice, promise!

As always though, there’s a lot to be happy about. I’m healthy, I’m whole, and I have people who love me, I have a kettle and tea. I could be an awful lot worse off. So this week, happiness is...

source
.... watching a film first thing in the morning. Isn’t there something so luxurious about this? On Saturday morning, before heading out for some family time, I watched about three-quarters of You’ve Got Mail in my PJs on the sofa with a mug of tea. It was such a relaxing way to start the day- I think I need to spend more weekend days like this, rather than running around like a headless chicken all the time.

.... Lila. My brother’s puppy, Lila, is the cutest dog IN THE WORLD. I love popping over to see her (and of course, my brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law) for puppy cuddles, dog walks, and playtime. She might even be convincing me that having a dog might be a good thing after all...

Source 
... reading rubbish books. Every time I head home, I pick up one of the rubbish books I’ve left on my bookshelf there. This week, it was Jodi Picoult’s Salem Falls. It was so nice to be able to get three-quarters of the way through a book in a day- unlike the Game of Thrones series, which I’ve just finished- and not to have to think at ALL about what I was reading.

... texts from my mum which include emojis. Bless her, my mama isn’t particularly great with her iPhone- but not long ago, I taught her how to put emojis into texts, and every time she includes on in a message it makes me smile.

Source
... unexpected acts of kindness. Like when Bess gave up her Sunday to house hunt with me, and told potential housemates that she would live with me in a heartbeat if she was looking to move too. Or when I got back at gone 10pm last night and M had made me lunch for work today. Or the strangers who saw me crying hysterically in my car at the service station and sort of signalled to check if I was OK and if they could do anything to help. It kind of makes you realise that people are generally good.

What’s making you happy this week?

11 comments:

  1. I love posts like this! I'm sorry to hear you've had a bit of a rough week but it's so good you've found little things that have made you happy as well :) love the comment about the people at the service station, its things like that that really restore your faith in people isn't it?

    Holly in Your Pocket xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alice what a rotten week, I'm so sorry to hear that things are so tough right now. Hopefully things settle down for you soon and that these bumps in the road lead to such wonderful wonderful things. If I could bake you a big giant chocolate cake, you know I'd be there in a heartbeat. Thinking of you friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I'm sorry you're having a some what crappy time of it lately. You obviously have a lot of positivity in you for even creating this post this week. Just remember, everything happens for a reason! I hope things work out for you!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really sorry to hear that you've had a bad week. I think it's great that you decided to write this post anyway though. I hope the weeks to come will treat you better!

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, noooo, Alice! I'm sorry to hear that this has been a rough go. But wow, you're doing great preparing for a new place. I hope a dream room opens up and things move swimmingly ahead. I'm sending a little cheer from this coast to your coast! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear you've had such a rubbish time recently. I guess it's kind of therapeutic to write this post and make you think a little bit more positively about things. Hope things get better soon, and no more driving whilst crying!

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love reading books you don't have to think about while you read them. Good luck with your housing hunt! I've been there, and know how difficult it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it must have been a week of rotten- I had one too. Something better will come of the house hunting for sure. It always does and then you will be SO glad you didn't get the first place :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess more important than ever to focus on these little moments (and yes, more morning films in PJs. For your soul of course!)
    Everything happens for a reason, the place you eventually end up living in will be amazing. I feel it in my waters.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh bless you :( break ups are awful but good on you focusing on the little things :) i think when big things are going a bit wrong that's all you can do, ride the wave ya know! I know how you feel my life is all upsidedown at the moment and I'm feeling so panicky about it but I'm making the most of every little thing I enjoy, like music, family time, and my lovely friends. Love and hugs to you girl xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,

    I stumbled across your blog last night; can't remember how, I was perhaps led here via Pinterest (something I'm seriously addicted to!). Anyway, I am SO glad to have found your little corner on the internet. The way you write, your positivity, your beautiful spirit...I love it. I ended up reading your most recent posts, and further back than this post, and I've even pinned a number of your posts on my Pinterest (yep, told ya I was addicted!).

    I hope London is treating you real well, you really deserve it; even though I don't know you, and have only just stumbled upon you, I can tell that great things are in store for you. I mean, with your wonderful outlook on life, how could they not! London is home to me, I'm a born and bred Londoner, so if you ever want any tips, don't hesitate to ask. Perhaps even one day, our paths may cross...who knows?! Just very happy that I've found you...and sorry for saying that so much...just really am happy!

    I know that this had been a roller coaster of a week, sending the past you a big hug, and the present you another big hug - you got through it, and things will only get better. The courage and bravery it takes to move to a new place is incredible, and at such a tumultuous time, too!

    Sending you so much love and positive vibes :) Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog