Monday, 7 July 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 74)

As I write this, I'm tucked up in bed with my bag all packed, ready to head off to Barcelona. It's Friday night, and a full two days before you'll be reading this. As you read this, I'll be in Barcelona, maybe visiting some monument, maybe lying on the beach, maybe eating ice cream or tapas or paella. Who knows!

As such, it isn't hard to think of happy things. This time of year is the time for adventure- it was around this time last year that I was in Thailand (posts on that here, here, and here), the year before I think I was possibly in Guernsey, the year before... probably working actually, but still!! It's a good time of year.


Anyway. This week, happiness is...

... classical music in the car. No idea why, but towards the end of a long journey, when I've had enough of Simon Mayo and the soundtrack from Frozen, I flick the radio to Classic FM. It's so peaceful, and makes me feel so happy, and calms me before I get to wherever I'm going.


... flying! I love being on a plane, which is funny given that no more than two years ago I was pretty scared of flying. No, I like being up in the air, watching the world below, and completely cut off from the outside world. There's something magic about that, isn't there? 


... not having to keep secrets any more! Thank you all so much for your kind words about my move (and the vlog!)- it's made me even more excited, if that's possible! I am not great at keeping secrets though- if anything, it makes me want to tell people more when I know I can't. So I'm pretty happy it's all out in the open now. Exciting times ahead!

... a whole week off work!! We worked out that this is the first time since I've been in my current job (so, six months) that I've taken off a full week. I'm not sure how I've managed that, but it has made me very excited to have a week to myself. It's just lovely!

... Mama CupandSaucer. She doesn't read this piece of the internet, so rest assured this is genuine. It's her birthday at the end of the week and that always makes me think about how special she is (though I do think this all the time too). She sorts my car MOT out for me, she asks for my advice about what to wear, she can hold an interesting conversation with anyone, she's clever, she's dealt with my brothers and me on her own for the past 13 years, and is just generally awesome. Mama, I think you're bloody fantastic and I love you very much.

... getting back to baking. I haven't baked a huge amount recently, but this week I made both caramel shortbread and an Oreo cake for a friend's boyfriend's birthday. I love being in the kitchen, beating together ingredients which are inedible alone but perfection when baked together. Isn't there a kind of magic to baking?

What's making you happy this week?

16 comments:

  1. I agree, baking is magical! I'm very jealous of you in Barcelona - I've never been, but I've heard that it's beautiful. Then again, right now it's really sunny in England and I'm sat outside with a caramel latte and my bloglovin feed, so life could be worse!
    Beth
    swallowsandskylines.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful! And on Monday when it was sunny in England, it rained in Barcelona- so you were winning there! x

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your vacation in Barcelona! Not having to keep secrets is the best haha, I'm also super bad at that. And the sight out of an airplane can be so pretty, however, I'm usually rolled up in a ball because I'm so scared of flying. How did you get over that? Again, enjoy Barcelona and all the great food and beautiful places there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I got over it because I was in a relationship where I had to fly to see him- I guess the more I did it, the less scary it got- and because he knew a lot about planes, he could explain the funny noise changes, and tell me about what was happening so I understood why I wasn't about to fall out of the sky! xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely post as usual :) have fun in Barcelona! My parents went there years ago and loved it, I'd love to go one day too! Travelling and adventures have gotta be the best thing ever! :)
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber- it's definitely worth a visit, it's so beautiful!

      Delete
  4. I hope you're having an amazing time in Barcelona - from what I've seen on instagram it certainly looks like it! I love flying as well, I also like looking at planes in the air - in Balham loads fly over so I'm always just gawking at the sky... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had the most AMAZING time thanks! Planes over Balham sounds great- hopefully I'll be joining you soon...!! x

      Delete
  5. Love reading posts like this :) Have a great time in Barcelona!

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope you're having a wonderful time in Barcelona :) and hooray for classical music - it's my field of work! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that must be so interesting! Very jealous. Had a fab time thanks!

      Delete
  7. Hope youre having a great time in barcelona!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I love Barcelona, I was there for a few days in April and fell in love with it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why- it was so charming!

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog