Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Cotehele

I know I promised Barcelona posts, and I will get to them- but first, I thought I'd share a few pictures from last Friday, when Mama CupandSaucer and I went for a potter around Cotehele as part of her birthday celebrations. Mama is happiest when she's outside in the sunshine- she wouldn't care if it was 28 degrees or minus 2- if it's sunny, she wants to be out there. And given that it was closer to the former than the latter, I wasn't going to refuse.


I demanded that we had to start our potter with lunch, so treated Mama to delicious homemade quiche and salad. Not the cheapest, but certainly delicious and perfect warm weather fare. We sat in the sunshine, chattering about our plans for the evening and reminiscing about our time in Barcelona.


Suitably fed and watered, we decided it was time for a stroll. I kind of forgot to take many pictures, as we ran into a childhood friend and stopped for a catch up for a while- but when we peeked through the trees at the edge of the path and saw that view, I couldn't not take a picture. Calstock, the village in the picture, is genuinely one of the prettiest places I know. There's a lovely walk from there to Cotehele, actually, but we decided that was one for another day.


We pottered around the gardens a little, putting the world to rights, before deciding to head back to the river. Turns out, you can do kayak tours, boozy jazz cruises, and all sorts of other boat-related things from the quay here, so I'll certainly be back for one of those soon.


But before long we were feeling restless again. We took a lovely stroll through more trees towards the mill. Unfortunately, as we'd left it pretty late in the day, we didn't have time to pop into the mill, but we did have time to pop into the little shop. I'm telling you, it took all my willpower not to buy a bag of the flour they stone grind there on site- can you imagine how delicious bread made with that would be!?


We stopped on the bridge to play Pooh Sticks (I won) before wandering back to the car to get ready for our evening out. But more on that another day.

Tell me. Are there any lovely National Trust properties near you? They're one of my favourite ways to spend a sunny day. Perhaps I'll have to treat myself to a membership, one day... 

PS- can I just say thank you to you ALL for being so bloody kind when I've been wobbling lately? You have no idea how much it helps. 

3 comments:

  1. Hope you had a lovely time in Barcelona - can't wait to see your posts! I also love seeing your days out so near to me. I will have to go and explore them too one day!
    There's Overbeck's at Salcombe which is near me. Beautiful gardens and a stunning view. Well worth a visit.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this place looks so lovely! There are a few lovely parks near me - Wakehurst place, which is linked to Kew Gardens in London. And a place called Tilgate Park which is actually in a busy area near a main road but you go into the park and there's a massive lake and woodland walks it's so beautiful :) also Hever Castle where Anne Boleyn lived is great!
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  3. The surroundings are absolutely beautiful! Looks like you had a really nice day :)

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog