Saturday, 21 June 2014

Waterloo Tea

I have a secret for you. 


It's the best place in Cardiff to get a really spectacular cup of tea. And because you're all so lovely, and I'm pretty awesome too, I'm going to tell you all about it.


Waterloo Tea is my absolute favourite hideaway in Cardiff. Tucked away in Penylan, less than ten minutes from my house, it's a haven where you can spend a good ten minutes trying to decide which type of tea to drink, and another twenty being told everything there is to know about it by the in house tea experts. 



J isn't quite as much of a tea addict as I am, but last Saturday I decided that I needed to introduce him to the wonders of the place. We arrived, ordered their house blend (which is wonderful, by the way- I always think it's quite fruity, which is unusual for a black tea, and perfectly strong) and deliberated over cakes. In  the end, J went for a piece of the Coffee and Tia Maria cake, while I decided that Butternut Squash, Blueberry and Orange cake was too cool a combination to miss. Both were utterly exceptional- I'm not always a huge fan of coffee cake, but J's was incredible. And mine? It had the lightest crumb, a moreish, crumbly texture, and tasted like a lighter version of carrot cake. Delicious.



One of my favourite things about Waterloo Tea is that when they bring you your tea, it comes with a little egg timer which tells you how long you should leave the leaves in the pot before drinking. Of course, they encourage you to drink your tea however you like it best, but it is so lovely to be taught how to make sure you enjoy your tea at its very best. They also have a different "tea of the month" each month, which always sound fantastic.

Tea fact: TGFOP1 means something like Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe Grade #1... which means that is a great tea.
We whiled away an hour or so, nattering about some of the big things that are going on at the moment, and just generally catching up. We were there at around 5pm-ish on a Saturday, and it was busy enough that we didn't feel like our conversations were being listened to, but quiet enough that we didn't struggle to find a table.

I'm told that their afternoon tea is one of the best in Cardiff- and that is now firmly on my Must Do In Cardiff list. It's just so in demand that so far, I haven't managed to snag a table (or remember to book!) but it will be done. 


Honestly- if you're in Cardiff, and looking for an escape just a little outside of the city centre, then Waterloo Tea is well worth a visit. Follow it up by a stroll around Roath Park lake, and you'll be spending your afternoon in my favourite way.


 Waterloo Gardens Teahouse, 5 Waterloo Gardens, Penylan, Cardiff, CF23 5AA 

(And if you're in Penarth? Look for Washington Tea, their sister cafe- I haven't been there but I'm sure it's awesome. And apparently they will be opening Wyndham Tea in the centre of town soon too! Hurrah!)

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Cardiff seems amazing- I've always wanted to visit. And this is random, but do you have any idea where I could purchase a lovely tea set like that? I just can't stop staring at that orange tea pot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! And you're massively in luck- I just had a peek at their website, and you can buy those pots/ cups there! Here you go: http://shop.waterlootea.com/category/teaware

      Delete
  2. oh man! i had no idea that there are that many choice of tea! whoaa,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a huge selection of tea! I like the design and colours of their teapots, something I'd like to bring back home!

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a look at my reply to Victoria above- you can buy those pots etc on their website! :)

      Delete
  4. Ooooo. I have to go here. I bloody love tea.

    Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do. You'd be in HEAVEN, J. xx

      Delete
  5. What an amazingly comprehensive selection of tea! And wow, butternut squash cake...I'm obsessed with beetroot cake so I definitely want to give that a try :)

    Tamsin xx | A Certain Adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it sound incredible? I'm already trying to find a recipe, I'll keep you posted if I do!

      Delete
  6. Oh my word I really want to go! This looks amazing! and only £2 a pot?! Madness! Never been to Cardiff but I have such an itch to travel more of England! Do you know what the cheapest way to get to Cardiff would be from near London? And if you know of any b&bs I'd love to know :) xo

    amber love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit more for the teas that aren't tea-of-the-week, but certainly pretty damn good value!! Don't forget, Cardiff is actually in Wales, not England ;) I tend to travel by train between the two- thoguh I hear the coaches (National Express/ Megabus) are pretty good too! I've heard very good things about Jolyon's At No. 10- close to town (and two doors down from my work!), close to Bute Park, and meant to be very nice! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog