Friday, 6 June 2014

Running Up That Building

I love running. I haven't been doing enough of it lately, and actually, that makes me sad. But a little while ago, the lovely folks at sportsshoes.com got in touch as part of their Fashionably Fit campaign, offering me some new sports gear and asking- does looking stylish spur me on to work out?

Top, H&M; bottoms, Nike (similar); shoes, Nike Lunarglide 5, c/o SportsShoes.com
Now, I'm not sure about stylish- hell, I'm not the most stylish person when I'm not working out- but for me, having the right kit genuinely makes me feel like I know what I'm doing, and certainly spurs me on to get out of the door and actually do some exercise. 

These pictures are kind of a case in point with that, actually- I put on my clothes, laced the lovely Nike Lunarglides I was sent, and I was ready and raring to run- despite the fact that I was two glasses of prosecco and one bowl of shakshouka down. (As you can see from my belly.)


And that's mostly because these turquoise Lunarglides are amazing. For me, they have just the right amount of ankle support (I have weak ankles) and arch support to keep me upright while I run. And aren't they such a pretty colour?!


Quite often when I'm running, I don't feel like I have a clue what I'm doing. I feel like everyone must be looking at me, wondering what the hell I think I'm doing, and why I'm even bothering. But when I'm wearing the right sports kit, I feel like I look like a pro- and that gives me enough of a boost to keep going and finish my work out, even when I feel like my legs are going to fall off and my lungs are going to implode. Of course, when I'm actually going, I completely forget what I look like- red cheeks, sweaty hair, arms flailing- but to get me out of the door, looking the part really helps.

Maybe that makes me vain. Maybe not. But it doesn't matter what gets me out of the door- it's the fact I get out of the door that's the important thing, right?


The one other thing I will say gets a big thumbs up from me as far as sportsshoes.com is concerned- not every items of ladies sportswear is pink or purple!! Just because I'm a girl and I run doesn't mean I want to look like Fitness Barbie. Nothing against you if you like pink sportsgear- it's a great colour- it just isn't for me. I like the colour of my shoes, thanks very much.

How about you? Do you find looking good while you work out spurs you on? Or are you more focused on just getting it done?

In the interests of full disclosure, I was sent these shoes to review, but all opinions on them and the topic at hand are, of course, my own.

6 comments:

  1. It definitely makes a difference I think, gives you a little feeling of legitimacy like 'of course I should be doing this'. And yep, whatever gets you out of the door.
    Those shoesies are pretty damn lovely too. I just bought myself a pair of Running Barbie-esque ones; I never thought I'd be a pink trainers kinda girl but I feel all bouncy and capable in them which I guess is the most important thing in a running shoe!
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a committed runner but when I do drag myself out I enjoy it and wonder why I don't do it more. Probably the mountainous hills around my house!!
    I took one of my horses out for a run with me a few weeks ago and we both had our high vis on and one of my friends commented on my facebook that i looked like a Dip Dab or a Double Dip!! Thanks! .... but looking back at the picture... yep... !!
    Sarah x
    Escape To The Westcountry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, please quit the comments about your belly (it's perfectly flat!). Those shoes are very nice. I like the black too- quite dancey.
    I can not run (no really) but when I wear my slightly less old, less stretched gym gear to the gym I definitely feel a whole lot better

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look so great! you definitely look the part :) i'm training for a 10K and i think i'm in need of some new shoes... which both excites me and also leaves my wallet quivering in the corner! i do think that wearing kit that makes you feel confident definitely makes you more motivated x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have reminded me how much I need to start running again. Although maybe I should purchase some new fun clothes first. You definitely look the part - keep at it! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look amazing! Less of the tummy comments gurrrl. Having good shoes is the best, I got some new running shoes a while ago and they're all neon and cool looking! :) xo

    amber love

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog