Monday, 23 June 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 72)

Somehow, no matter how much time I spend back in Devon, it never quite feels like enough. 

It's not that I want to move back there- or at least, certainly not for the foreseeable future- it's more that whenever I'm there with the family, it feels like an intermezzo, a little holiday away from real life, where I can be looked after and really enjoy my time with no responsibilities or duties. Of course, I still help out as much as I can get away with- but it's because I want to, and not because I've got to- and there's a world of difference there.

As an aside- I've decided to go back to replying to comments right here on the blog, rather than email responses. I just am SO useless as keeping on top of my inbox that this seemed like a better idea. I've started from yesterday's post, and hopefully I'll be able to post relatively timely responses. Fingers crossed, anyway.

Right. This week, happiness is...


... getting big sister points. This weekend, I think I got all the big sister points going from Little L- I made a birthday cake for Papa CupandSaucer with her, I showed her how to do a cartwheel, and I impressed her with the fact that I can dive (as pictured above). She's my favourite little person, and I love spending time with her!

... enjoying reading again. For some reason, not so long ago, I went through a phase where I just had no interest in picking up a book. For a girl who (like almost all of you, I'm sure) used to be told off for reading when she should have been asleep, this was faintly worrying- but I've got my reading mojo back, and I'm ploughing through A Dance With Dragons: After the Feast, even if it does feel a little unseasonal.

Source
... strawberries. Oh my goodness, possibly my favourite thing about this time of year. I bought a kilo of them yesterday, and now I need to guzzle them all before they go off. Somehow, I don't think I'll struggle, but if I do? I'll be making this or these (but with strawberries).

... hammocks. Papa CupandSaucer's house was made for summer, with a big, sweeping veranda (with insanely gorgeous views all the way out to Plymouth Sound), a swimming pool, a trampoline, and a hammock. I spent a good portion of Saturday afternoon drying off after a dip in the pool in said hammock, and now I'm determined to find a place to hang one here because it was just so bloody comfortable.


... really big exciting news!! Which I can't tell you all about yet. Which I know is the most annoying thing in the world, but I promise that as soon as possible, I'll fill you all in. All you need to know is that it is BIG and EXCITING and nothing to do with me being engaged or pregnant or anything as terrifyingly grown up as that. Unlike Zoella, I'm also not writing a book. Make of that cryptic nonsense what you will.

What's making you happy this week?

12 comments:

  1. I KNOW WHAT THE NEWS IS, I KNOW WHAT THE NEWS IS!!!!!!!! (Also, you should install disqus so peeps get notified if you reply to their comments) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan batman. I'll do it soon... LOVE. xx

      Delete
  2. What a good dive! Tutorial please? Ha. I've also started enjoying reading again too - starting to miss it when I drive instead of getting the train though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Bee! I know, I have missed it- I'm looking forward to being able to read more over the coming months! :)

      Delete
  3. Love this post, sounds like the most perfect time. Swimming pools and hammocks are rather enviable additions to a parents' house I must say, I would have loved some pool time this weekend, it was definitely the weather for it! Excited to hear your news :) xo

    Rosie | A Rosie Outlook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SUCH a great addition, particularly in this weather!! I'll definitely keep you posted lovely one, as soon as it is all 100% :) xx

      Delete
  4. Ooooh! Can't wait to hear what the exciting top secret news is!
    I went to Mount Edgcumbe on sunday and loved it. We had an amazing cream tea and wandered round in the sun with the dogs. Can't wait to go back again and explore some more!
    Sarah
    x
    Escape to the Westcountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you liked it there, isn't it beautiful?! I'll definitely keep everyone posted with the news! xx

      Delete
  5. Ooh! Can't wait to hear what the big news is!

    Happiness is totally being at home with your family. I live across the world from my parents, so it's always such a pleasure being back!

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you posted lovely- I'm so excited, I can hardly keep it in! Gosh, being so far away must make is so much sweeter being back with them, you're right :)

      Delete
  6. Great post :) how are you finding the game of thrones series? i've read the first three but i'm finding them pretty hard to get through to be honest! can't wait to hear the exciting news!

    For me this week happiness has been spending most of my time at the beach with my closest friends, climbing castle ruins and sunbathing. One of my housemates, and my bestest friend moved out yesterday so I've spent most of the last two weeks with him. The night before we left me, him and another bud ordered pizza and watched cats the musical on dvd. I love them guys :') xo

    amber love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the books actually! I do find if I don't read whacking great chunks all at once though I start to struggle. I really haven't got into the TV show though!!
      Your weekend sounds absolutely lovely- so sad they've moved out, but I'm sure you'll be back with them soon!

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog