Monday, 16 June 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 71)

Um, hi summer! Where did you come from?! I certainly wasn't expecting this weekend's mini-heatwave, but I'm really rather glad it appeared. Particularly as I had a three-day weekend- I was given Friday as time off in lieu from my slightly crazy week in North Wales last week- I've spent almost the entire weekend in the sun, and my limbs are gaining some colour as a result (and I'm certainly not unhappy about that).

I'm feeling like a bit of a part-timer at the moment, though. Most weeks, I seem to be either out of the office, having a day off in lieu, having a bank holiday, or a day of annual leave somewhere in the week. This week is no different- I have TOIL (again!) and I'm using it to the best of my ability- with a day trip to London. Wonderful stuff!

It's a busy life at the moment- this weekend was laid back and relaxing and exactly what I needed. Ready and raring for another week where I'll spend four days in Cardiff, one (and a night) in London, and two in Devon. 

Anyway. This week, happiness is...



 ... eating outside. I ate every meal outside on Saturday! And breakfast and afternoon tea on Sunday! It's my absolute favourite thing about this time of year, and I'll keep going on about it until the weather changes.

... napping. I had TWO naps on Saturday! It felt so luxurious- one on a blanket in the sunshine in the park, the other on my bed. Neither was more than ten minutes long, both were to while away some time while J revised. I can't remember the last time I napped other than that!


... raspberry gin mojito hybrids. On Saturday night, several glasses of wine down, we decided to make cocktails and came up with this delicious concoction. Muddle a few mint leaves, a few raspberries, half a dessert spoonful of caster sugar, and a squeeze of lemon juice in a glass. Add ice and an egg-cupful (and a half) of gin, top of with tonic, and stir. Delicious. And faintly lethal after several glasses of wine...

From here
... exploring. J and I went on a little explore yesterday (more info on where we went to follow this week!), and it was so nice to have a little potter around unfamiliar places. Isn't it great to discover beautiful places that are essentially right on your doorstep?! 

... when first class is only £1 more than standard class. Yep, that's right- I'll be travelling to London first class on Wednesday evening- when it's only £1 more though, it really would be rude not to...

What's making you happy this week?

6 comments:

  1. How are we on volume SEVENTY ONE?!?! Madness. Absolute madness. Can't wait to see your face xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating outside is one of the best things with summer! That breakfast looks absolutely delicious.

    Love, Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah thats the one thing i miss about not having a garden - sitting outside for all of my meals. I make a compromise by cracking our attic window as far as it can go and eating my breakfast early in the morning with the fresh air and blue skies…i'm halfway there! I am also fond of taking my lunch to the park or the river which is just a few minutes away on those two wheels of mine! Love these little posts you do. Its also quite nice that you are getting a break from the usual 9-5pm routine, lets hope this sunshine continues!!!!!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. First class, how fancy :-P

    Am I the only person that is funny about eating outside? I love the idea of enjoying a picnic, however I'm not a fan of bugs and such. I love the outdoors any other time though!

    Enjoy your London trip and I look forward to your exploring post.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, I swear my weekend wasn't that sunny :( Must've been different weather where I was! I'm looking forward to lots of meals outside!

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved the sunny weather! I was at isle of wight festival this weekend and it was scorching! like a foreign country! xo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog