Monday, 9 June 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 70)

As I write this, it has gone 11pm on a Sunday night. I have a crazy busy week ahead of me (including my little jaunt to North Wales), and I really shouldn't still be awake, but I am. I suppose that's a big part of being a grown up, isn't it? Managing your own sleep patterns? It's certainly not something I've got used to.

This weekend has been a busy one- to the point that it's actually only been a one-day weekend as I worked on Saturday. Quite out of the usual for my standard Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm (or, in my case, 8am-4pm) job. But I've still managed to pack it in- supper out, evening in, evening with friends over, a run, a trip to town, an afternoon at home, a good clean... I need to get better at this whole "relaxing" thing. I like being busy though. It suits me well- I don't do lounging around anymore. I feel like I'm wasting time, and it isn't something that any of us have a great deal of, so I suppose we really should make the most of what we have.

I'm getting philosophical in my old age.

Anyway. Entirely off topic. This week, happiness is...

... lazy afternoons reading the Sunday supplements. Who cares if it was the ones from last weeks edition? I haven't spent an afternoon reading in ages, and it made me feel so restored.

Source
- really expensive chocolate. This weekend has involved Prestat salted caramel milk chocolate eggs and Amelia Rope hazelnut and sea salt chocolate. Both are exceptional.

- being prepared. Having grown up in Devon, I know the importance of always carrying a brolly, so even when the sun was shining on sunday, I took one out with me. Thank god I did, because the heavens opened as I walked home and I was left feeling smug and dry.

Source
- summer fruits. My fridge and fruit bowl are currently stuffed with cherries, strawberries, nectarines, and blueberries and it is wonderful. I love the fresh produce at this time of year!

Source
- Sunday night dinner parties. Last night, six of us gathered for supper at my house. There's something so luxurious about a Sunday night spent lingering over prosecco, slow cooked beef, and a pudding of Eton mess made with fresh summer berries with friends. A wonderful evening, even if I did manage to break THREE glasses. I feel dreadful.

What's making you happy this week?

4 comments:

  1. You're always so busy! It's great being busy but it's important to take time out, meditating is such a good way to feel centered :) i love when fruits are fresher in summer, i end up craving them so much. I wish they weren't so expensive though :( i've had raspberries once since becoming a student! :(

    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of the chocolate you posted is making me happy! Expensive chocolate all the way!

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right, dinner gatherings on warm nights are what summer is all about! Prosecco, beef and Eton Mess sounds perfect! We made a lovely roast with Jerusalem artichokes this Sunday night and dined alfresco. Summer is the best!

    Tamsin xx | A Certain Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dinner sounds delicious. Yesterday I really craved chill grilled prawns - luckily my husband was working from home and could marinate some during the day. They were delicious - so happy making! x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog