Thursday, 8 May 2014

Steak With Butter, Thyme, and Roasted Veg

I am a big fan of cooking well for myself.


I'm all for cooking delicious things for others- duck breasts with red wine and cherry sauce; slow cooked steak and ale pie; pork and mushroom stroganoff- but to be honest, the person I'm really cooking for in those situations is me. I'm just using the other person as an excuse to make something a little more time consuming.

It feels very decadent to cook lovely things for myself- though to be honest, I do tend to cook well for myself regardless. It's my way of loving myself- if I'm not doing so well, cooking goes out of the window. I deprive myself, making myself more miserable.

Of course, I come to regret this decadence when I look in the mirror while trying on a bikini and I feel like this, but at the time? Totally, completely worth it.


Does anyone else remember Diane von Furstenburg giving Whitney boy advice in The City? No? Just me? Well, DVF says to her "The most important relationship in your life is the one you have with yourself. Because no matter what happens, you will always be with yourself". This is my way of making sure I have a positive relationship with myself.

Is this indulgent? Yes. But I genuinely don't think there's anything wrong with a little indulgence every now and then, though if you disagree- you could grill the steaks and feel a little better about it. BBQ-ing would work very well too.

This is a recipe for one. It could, of course, be increased to share with someone you love, but if not- there will be enough veg left over for at least two days worth of lunches, particularly if you mix it with couscous or quinoa. I did this- and added a handful of chopped fresh parsley, mint, and chives too. 


Steak With Butter, Thyme, and Roasted Veg

2 sweet potatoes
A red pepper
A few mushrooms
A large onion
A handful of cherry tomatoes
Half a head of broccoli
A few asparagus spears

Steak of your choice (I went with sirloin)
A knob of butter
A few sprigs of thyme

Salt, pepper, olive oil

Peel and chop your sweet potato. Put into a large roasting dish and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put into the oven at 200C.

Slice your pepper, mushrooms, and onion, and half half of your cherry tomatoes. After the sweet potato has been in the oven for about ten minutes, add this to the pan, mixing well.

Chop your broccoli into small florets. Snap the woody ends off of your asparagus, and half the spears. After the peppers etc have been in the oven for 10 minutes, add the broccoli and asparagus. Cook for a further ten minutes.

Once your broccoli and asparagus have gone into the oven, you can start prepping your steak. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Pick the leaves off of the thyme, and chop them, if you want. Sprinkle the thyme over the meat. 

Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add your steak, first holding it fatty-edge down to start crisping the fat, then cook on each side for a couple of minutes until cooked to your liking. While cooking, spoon the butter over the steak occasionally. Once cooked to your liking, remove from the heat and dear god please let it rest while your veg finishes cooking. Spoon some more of the melted butter/ fat over the meat, if you want.

Serve with some of the roasted veg alongside.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man this looks amazing. I don't do proper cooking for myself very often, usually its just plain grilled chicken and veg, but I agree, it's definitely worth treating yourself sometimes! :) xx

    Katy | Little Miss Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so bloomin' delish x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I love steak. Just need some bearnaise sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing, I completely agree - there's definitely nothing wrong with indulging yourself from time to time!

    Anna xx | The Girl In The Moon

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog