Thursday, 22 May 2014

Shakshouka


Shakshouka is probably my favourite "I need to eat something and I can't work out what I want to eat" supper. It's not woefully bad for you, contains a good lot of vegetables, and is a good way of using up whatever you have in the fridge. It's also extra delicious when you eat it outside. What more do you want?


Shakshouka is often served as a brunch dish, but to be honest, a) it's pretty great whenever you eat it and b) jentacular foods are my favourites, and I'd prefer it if I just ate breakfast three times a day.

I was inspired for this by Smitten Kitchen and The Londoner for this one, so can't take full credit- but trust me, this is delicious, and if you don't make it at some point over the bank holiday weekend, you're missing out.

This quantity could happily serve two for brunch, particularly if you're having other delicious things alongside, or if you're me, it serves one for supper. 


Shakshouka

1 clove garlic, crushed
A chunk of chorizo (or a couple of slices of smoked bacon is great too)
Half a red pepper, sliced
A few mushrooms, chopped
A tin of chopped tomatoes
Paprika
Chilli powder
A tsp honey
Fresh coriander, chopped
2 eggs

In a saucepan, fry the chorizo/ bacon and garlic, then add the peppers and mushrooms, and sautee for a couple of minutes. Then add the tomatoes, a good shake of paprika, a good shake of chilli powder, and a teaspoon of honey. Simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened, then stir in your coriander.

Pour into a small ovenproof dish, then crack two eggs into the top of the dish. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 10 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. 

For real indulgence, add some boursin when the dish comes out of the oven. But regardless, serve it with crusty bread for soaking up the sauce. 

2 comments:

  1. Shakshouka is the best! Love your use of 'jentacular' by the way - I've learned a new word! Definitely going to use it to describe my breakfasts from now on :)

    Tamsin xx | A Certain Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Shakshouka. So delicious eaten with crusty bread and a glass of red on the terrace in the sun. Yumm! xx

    Katy | www.littlemisskaty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog