Tuesday, 20 May 2014

Down By The Sea

Do you know what's lovely? Getting a phonecall from your brother at just before 9am, saying "You and mum should come to Widemouth for a barbeque today!"


My brother's fiancee and her family are lucky enough to own a home at Widemouth Bay, one of my favourite beaches on the north Cornwall coast. When the tide is out, it's a long, smooth stretch of sand, pockmarked with rocky outcrops with rockpools you could lose a day to.


We arrived at the house jut after noon (it's only an hour from Mama CupandSaucer's house, but I'd spent a chunk of the morning visiting Papa CupandSaucer and Little L), and basked in the sunny garden over glasses of apple and elderflower juice, while P cooked up a feast on the barbeque. 

The weather doesn't look great in these pictures, but trust me- it was hot and sunny enough for me to burn the one patch of shoulder I missed with the suncream so spectacularly that two days later, it's still fuchsia.  


After lunch, we made our way to the beach for a stroll and a paddle. It's literally a stone's throw from the house- and I don't have a particularly strong throwing arm either. Even a detour to visit the most adorable twenty-seater chapel in the village only added an extra two minutes to the walk. 

We meandered along the shoreline, chatting about E and A's upcoming nuptials, my life in Cardiff, and how we could all happily stay on the beach there forever. Honestly- I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do less than drive back to Cardiff that afternoon. Fortunately, I've since adjusted to being back.


And what would a trip to the beach be without a local ice cream? Nothing. Nothing at all. Even if we were still stuffed full of barbeque food...


7 comments:

  1. That looks like such a beautiful place! What a lovely invite to receive!!!
    Grace x
    theartofwandering.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a lovely relaxed weekend at the seaside :) And I agree, you can't go without getting an ice cream! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great beach to visit on a sunny day! Lots of rocks to jump around on.

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely beach shots and a great day by the sounds of it. That ice cream looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So typically English, 'hot and sunny' is pretty warm and sunny, but not warm enough to burn off those residual clouds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty beach! Sounds like you had a lovely day. x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos :) i love living by the beach :) xo

    amber love

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog