Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Was Giving Up Chocolate Worth It?

So I made it through a Lent without chocolate alive! And celebrated with a chocolate twist for breakfast on Easter Sunday. Which probably already tells you a lot about whether I think it was worth it...

From Food and Cook
Giving up chocolate for Lent wasn't ever really a health thing- it was more about breaking my bad habit of getting in from work and eating chocolate without even thinking about it. From this point of view, it's probably been a success- I don't necessarily come in and reach for the fruit (mostly because I eat a lot of fruit during the day at work and by the time I get in I need something different), but I don't feel the need for chocolate at 4pm any more. 

To be honest though, I genuinely only stuck to it because I'm stubborn. There was no way I was going to go over a month without chocolate and give in before Easter Sunday, regardless of how many people tried to tell me that Lent finished on Good Friday. I set myself a challenge, and I completed it.

However.

From Raspberri Cupcakes
The whole way through Lent, I ate more sweets and biscuits than I ever normally do. I never buy packets of sweets, but throughout Lent, I found myself doing this because I needed a sugar hit that was more than grapes could offer. So that was pretty counterintuitive. I suppose I could have just given up all chocolate, biscuits, sweets, cakes, and everything else fun, but I'd have been so bloody miserable that no one would have wanted to play with me.

I haven't had any physical effects either- I mean, that was never the aim, but I can report no weight loss, change in skin, or change in energy levels. I just continued as normal, to be completely honest.

From Sweetapolita
I will concede that I no longer crave chocolate like I used to- however, I do still think on a fairly regular basis "Ooh some chocolate would be really good right now". I have got far better at recognising when I am hungry, and when I just want to nibble on something naughty too- so I suppose that is a point.

Most importantly, I think, is the fact that I never reached the point of "not being fussed" about chocolate. While I'm sure some people do reach this point, I certainly wasn't one of them, and I genuinely would now be sceptical of anyone who says "they just don't miss it" after a month and a half without something. I think it takes an awful lot longer to really not be bothered by a type of food you used to eat on a nearly daily basis.

All credit to Cider with Rosie
So yeah. I'm sure a lot of you will probably disagree with me, but for me? Giving up chocolate wasn't really worth it. I liked proving to myself that I could do it, but other than that? Nope, not enough benefits to make me want to do it again.

Now. Where did I put that bag of Mini Eggs?

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh I have a question :) Whwn you tried your first bit of chocolate on Easter Sunday did it taste amazing?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had pretty much the exact same reaction as you describe here regarding my own chocolate Lenten fast. I wanted to prove to myself that I had control over my "chocolate addiction" and I was able to completely cut out chocolate the entire time. But, I feel that in many ways I was less healthy because I also substituted non-chocolate sweets that I usually would not have eaten. I would have to say from the perspective of learning more about myself, food cravings, and the like, giving up chocolate was worth it. I found it to be a learning experience. But, from a healthy-eating perspective, it was definitely not worth it. So, I'm not sure which way that tips the overall scales--probably only just slightly in favor of "worth it" for me, as I appreciate the self-insights. But, I think it is such a toss up on that call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok well reading/dribbling over this post has made me never ever EVER want to give up chocolate. Ahhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe I love your honesty!! At least you've done it now, you know you can, and next year can give up something a little less serious!!!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, at least you're able to recognise it wasn't worth it in the end! I'm a bit like that, I need a sugar hit or I get something along the lines of 'hangry'. But now I'm learning that I am a bit addicted to sugar hits and able to talk myself down from reaching for a biscuit and instead getting a healthy drink!

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did exactly the same, my group of friends and I all gave up chocolate (which probably made it slightly easier as there were less people to have to watch eating chocolate!), but surprise surprise Easter Sunday came and the first thing I ate was a packet of mini eggs! And I have no regrets about how much chocolate I consumed on Sunday, but it does make me think maybe there was no point in giving it up, apart from being able to say I succeeded in doing so!

    Anna xx | The Girl In The Moon

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog