Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Sunny Fridays

I love weekends at this time of year. The sun shines (occasionally), birds sing, people start to remember that it isn't winter all the time, the circulation comes back to my hands...

And this year, Easter weekend (in Devon) was one of those weekends. It's a remarkable difference from last Easter, when I was dragged out for a walk wearing an oversized cashmere jumper, ski jacket, snood, hat, and gloves.


On Good Friday, Mama CupandSaucer, J and I decided to spend the afternoon at Mount Edgecumbe. It's one of my favourite places on the whole entire planet (seriously), and given that I was in a bit of a (read- rather large) strop in the morning, a trip anywhere that was going to cheer me up was strongly felt to be a good idea.


We hopped on the Cremyll Ferry and made our way across the water from Devon to Cornwall, and aimed straight for the small pebble beach at the edge of the grounds. I decided that the only way to get better at skimming stones is to keep practicing, so J and I gathered handfuls of flat pebbles, and ran to the water's edge, while Mama sat and watched. This exercise served to prove that I still cannot skim stones, no matter how much someone tries to teach me. Sigh. I suppose there has to be something I can't do, right!? (Aside from ice skating backwards, sight reading, talking in a funny accent, anything involving co-ordination...)


Given that I quickly tire of things I can't do (I'm such a brat, honestly), we decided to take a stroll around the grounds and show them off to J, who had never visited before. I think he quickly realised that I'll be bringing him back here a fair amount- I'm already planning to go for a picnic the next time we're in the Plymouth area. And given that it is a well known fact that the best views are always from the highest ground, we made our winding way to see the folly.


It's a bit of a climb, but on a day like Friday, it was absolutely, one hundred percent worth it. Don't you think?


I could have stayed there for hours watching the people and the boats and the clouds. But we soon decided that we needed a cup of tea, so we made our merry way back to the Stables for drinks, stopping only to admire the bluebells and smell the wild garlic.



Too soon, however, we decided it was time to head for home, so we made our way to the house and it's wonderfully long, sloping lawn, and Mama and J walked down it sedately, while I stopped to take pictures primarily so I could run down the hill like a child in order to catch up. 


If you need to find me on a sunny day, and you know me to be in the West Devon area, chances are you'll now find me here. It's a hard life...





5 comments:

  1. Mount Edgecumbe looks beautiful :) I'll be sure to take a visit if I'm ever in West Devon!

    Tamsin xx | A Certain Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely! I've never been to Devon, but I've heard wonderful things about it.

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've still not visited Mount Edgecumbe despite being in my 6th year of living in Plymouth now, oops! Definitely need to rectify this especially as it looks so gorgeous in your photos
    Gemma
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW what an absolutely stunning place!
    I agree, we could easily while away the hours staring out across the water
    x x x
    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, your pictures bring back good memories - my parents always used to take me to Mount Edgecumbe back in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember we used to stay at a campsite not too far away and I remember there being a sort of ruined small 2-storey house in the grounds of Mount Edgecumbe that had a rickety old staircase I used to climb up to the top! It's probably knocked down or fenced off now - health and safety no doubt! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog