Monday, 7 April 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 61)

I'm rather happy about the fact that I'm actually only working one more Monday in April after today. Isn't that great?! Next Monday I'll be heading up to London to play with Ellie and Bess, and the following Monday is Easter Monday, and I'll be roaming around the Welsh coast with Jenny. So lots of lovely things to look forward to!

As I'm sure everyone else agrees, I'm struggling to comprehend how quickly this year is going. I'm just so busy at the moment (though as I'm writing this, I'm currently enjoying a wonderfully relaxing Sunday afternoon)- I have things in the diary all the way to June, which seems an awfully long time away but of course, if the first few months of the year are anything to go by, it'll be upon us before we know it.

I'm liking the shower-y April weather at the moment too- though not so much when I'm out and about and get caught in it, particularly considering the fact that I appear to have lost my umbrella. Oh well though- the smell after it rains, and the lush green of the park as I walk to work are compensation enough.

This week, happiness is...


... this chair. It is the comfiest chair in the world, and just sort of hugs you while you're blogging, drinking tea, and watching re-runs of The Great British Bake Off. Perfect place to spend a Sunday afternoon.

... making lists. I spend a lot of time making lists- shopping lists, in particular, because I'm forgetful. On Sunday morning, I woke up early and lay in bed for a while making lists- things to buy in town, the groceries I needed for the week, ideas for blog posts- it was just blissful, and left me feeling very organised.

Image from the brilliant What To Cook Tonight
... eating lots and lots of fish. Which is completely ridiculous, considering that a mere 18 months ago I very firmly believed that all seafood was the devil and I wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot barge pole, even if you'd paid me. This weekend I've eaten squid, turbot, smoked salmon, tuna, and prawns and I've loved every second of it- particularly the cracking food at Fish at 85 on Friday night (I highly recommend).

... having Mama CupandSaucer to stay. I am incredibly close to my mother, and the only thing I don't like about being in Cardiff is how far away from her I am. She came up to see me this weekend- I showed her my new home, we went out for dinner on Friday night, we had a lazy Saturday breakfast, went for a potter around a castle, and spent two hours in a coffee shop chattering over tea and cake. I felt so restored just by having her around- even if we worked out the next chance we'll have for her to come to visit again will be in June...!

From here
... bookshops. I popped into Waterstones on Sunday to pick up The Silent Wife for the Blogger Book Club, and I could have spent hours and many, many pounds there. For one reason or another, it's ages since I bought new books, and it felt like such a treat to wander around selecting a second book. Lovely stuff!

What's making you happy this week?

7 comments:

  1. Bookshops. Oh yes that certainly is happiness! I popped into one in my local town and realised I've never truly appreciated it before. It's set in an old chapel and is just perfect inside. The best place to be!

    - Lorna at Scared Toast x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're coming to London again Miss Alice?? For how long??? Your weekend with your mama sounds so lovely, you are both so lucky to have such a bond. Happy Monday!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that chair, I wish I had a corner in my house big enough to house such a big and cosy looking armchair. I can just imagine curling up in it, reading a book, reading blogs, or just chilling out.

    Victoria, x victoriachapman.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the bookstores near me got voted the best in the US - I really opt to visit it more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're completely right that this year is flying by! I have graduation in just over a month, and I don't think I completely believe it yet.
    What did you do to make yourself love seafood? I hate it, but really really wish I didn't...
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an especially good list! I always love these posts :) I loooove fish so much! I'm a pescetarian so do eat a lot of fish. I wish I could stop though 'cos I believe there is too much waste and unnecessary deaths but I'm not a great cook so need to improve and find alternatives! Your time with your mama sounds lovely :) I took my mam out for afternoon tea on mother's day and it was so nice to have her to myself! I doubt she'd like to come stay with me in my uni house though! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these lists, Alice - such a lovely way to make Mondays less, well, Monday-ish. My boyfriend's randomly decided to have a 'pescatarian April' so I've also been eating a lot more fish than usual, and loving it! I hope you have a wonderful week.

    Anna xx | The Girl In The Moon

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog