Saturday, 1 March 2014

The Year So Far

On Thursday, I was busy scheduling Facebook posts for the page I manage at work, and had a teeny tiny heart attack when I realised that Saturday would be 1st March.


Living in Wales, I really should have realised this earlier, as 1st March is St David’s Day. Given how attached I’ve become to my diary, I also should have realised this, but somehow it had kind of slipped under the radar in an “Oh that’s nice, it’s nearly not-winter” kind of way.

When this did come glaringly to my attention, however, I let out a rather large squawk which both baffled and concerned the colleagues around me in equal measure, who demanded to know what the matter was, and who were even more baffled when I told them that it was just the fact that it was March on Saturday and I feel like I haven’t done anything with the first two months of the year!


Well that, quite frankly, turned out to be bobbins (to steal a phrase I saw in the comments on a really interesting article about HIV sufferers struggling to maintain their health due to benefits cuts stopping them being able to eat properly. It was on the Independent, google it and have a look). Seriously- while I swear to god that time passes increasingly quickly every year, I would probably have to say that this year I have been pretty damn productive.


Already this year I have moved- twice, technically, as I moved from Devon to my lovely friends’ spare room for a few weeks, and have now moved into my gorgeous new house which feels very homely already- it’s lovely, and all I need to do is sort some shelving and perhaps an armchair out for my bedroom and then it’ll be sorted (and I’ll do a room tour, promise!)


I’ve also started a new job, which does have its ups and downs but on the whole is enjoyable. My colleagues are all lovely, if a little quieter than my old lot, and I treated them to cake on Thursday after a difficult meeting so we’re well on the way to being BFFs.


J has become a pretty important part of my life already this year, and I’m excited to see how things progress with him. He’s a good person, we like having him around, and that’s probably all I say on the matter (there are some things a blogger gets to keep to herself, right?)


I’ve spent some lovely time with some of my all time favourite bloggers- Bess, Jenny, Ellie, and Emma, and met many lovely lovely bloggers including Ibbs and Charlotte who I hope I get to see lots more of soon (they don’t know this but I’m telling them- I want to see more of you soon!). We had a lovely few days in Dorset, and an equally lovely day at the Harry Potter Studio Tour- which I’ll be posting on as soon as I can get my act together. (That might take a while.)


I’ve joined a new korfball team, and have played a couple of matches with them (as well as one for my old team because they were short on girls) and they’re a really lovely bunch- if you’re in the Cardiff area and want to try out korfball, Cardiff Dragons have my personal recommendation (because obvs my opinion is the only one that counts as far as this is concerned)


And on top of the “big things” there have been many suppers out, birthday celebrations (including my own 24th , which still sounds far too grown up for my liking), a theatre trip, a weekend at home, a rugby game, the first ice cream of the year, pilates classes, a £200 phone bill (yes, really),brunches, more cups of tea than I can possibly count, walks in the park, awkward conversations, happy conversations, a lot of wine, and a family engagement.

If this is how the rest of the year is going to go, 2014- I like you.

6 comments:

  1. Happy March :D I LOVE March, I'm so excited! It's my birthday month so I get to prance about being a diva for a few weeks!

    I can't believe you've moved twice this year already, that's a pretty action packed start to 2014! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice this is a lovely post and I'm totally with you - I can't actually believe it's March already! Happy new month & I hope this one is as good as Jan & Feb!

    Bxx
    b-jolly.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. March use to always be a sign of spring - bulbs and flowers and lambs. That feels so far away from what i'm seeing in the Mid West right now haha. The years flying by again isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab post :) you've done so much! I hope the rest of the year is just as good for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have managed to do so much in just two months, a really nice post! I'm really glad it's march, the days are starting to get longer longer which can only be a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww such a lovely idea to do a wee update.
    Sometimes we forget to stop and take stock of all that has passed under the bridge, I raise my glass to you ma'dear
    I'll come visit in Cardiff sometime in April/May please
    x x x x
    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog