Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Londoning

Rather more weeks ago than I'd care to remember (and the Most Disorganised Blogger Award goes to...), J and I had a little weekend in London. He had to be there for work for a few days, and we decided that the weekend before would be the perfect opportunity for a little trip to the Big Smoke.



It has sort of become a tradition of mine that if I go on a train on a Friday night, I'm allowed a pre-made gin and tonic (obviously a freshly made one would be better, but beggars can't be choosers), and a bag of M&S Belgian chocolate covered peanuts. I entertained myself on the train by finishing the i crossword in 15 minutes flat with no cheating (proud), and whiled away the journey to Paddington, where I was meeting J...


My train arrive first, so I got to stand and people watch for a while. People watching at train stations is basically my favourite thing to do- I love watching the coming and going, the swathes of people all moving toward trains, loved ones, home... it's lovely.

J arrived after about 10 minutes of waiting (it's a miracle, he was coming from Devon, where half the trainline is still either underwater, or non-existent), and we zoomed off to our hotel- with only a minor bit of getting lost, due to my impeccable sense of direction. I maintain it's his own fault for letting me be in charge of getting us there...


On Saturday morning, we awoke bright eyed and bushy tailed, and I put on my housemate's dress (she basically clothed me for the weekend, bless her), and we headed for Portobello Market- J had never been, and I wanted to browse for silly homewares I don't need, and overdose on deliciousness. Which is exactly what we did, stopping first at the Hummingbird Bakery to pick up a couple of sweet treats for later in the day- and a cup of tea for there and then...


I'd put out a little shout on Twitter asking if anyone had any recommendations for places to eat, and my lovely, lovely Meg suggested Honest Burger- and boy, did she deliver... 



 J thought it was hilarious that I wanted to grab burgers, because on one of our early dates I had a massive massive freak out over how to daintily eat a burger in front of him. But when our burgers were happily placed in front of us, he knew that I'd made the best decision I could have made with this one. Seriously- if you haven't been, I very strongly suggest that you go to Honest Burger- my mouth is watering again just looking at that picture.


Tummies happily full, we headed back for a peruse around Covent Garden and a quick trip to the TKTS stand in Leicester Square for theatre tickets for the evening. We managed to score cheap tickets for Wicked, and celebrated with the cupcakes we'd bought earlier in the day- I think I I made the better choice: Black Bottom > Snickers cupcake, every time.


While wandering around Covent Garden, I nipped into Joy, and picked up the lovely dress below- apologies for the genuinely appalling picture- seriously, the dress is actually beautiful- the picture below doesn't really show much of anything, other than my standing-on-the-bed skills.


All I can really say about Wicked is that it was genuinely incredible- so much so that I didn't even think twice before booking tickets to see it again when it comes to Plymouth next January. Mama CupandSaucer and I have amazing seats for a Saturday evening performance and I am already SO excited about it.



Sunday morning dawned slightly more grey and dreary looking than Saturday, but undeterred we headed in search of brunch to formulate a plan.

We ended up in Le Pain Quotidien- I know there are endless, endless independent places for brunch in London, but to be honest, we were starving and it was actually really, really good- I am a big fan of anywhere which offers me this much cutlery for a one course meal.


I can't for the life of me remember what the thing I went for was actually called, but it left me so full I couldn't even think about food until gone 7pm that night. Which for something I ate at 11am, I was pretty impressed by. Pain au chocolat, great bread, a boiled egg, Gruyere and ham, yoghurt and granola, tea, and juice? Oh, be still my groaning stomach.


We decided that the best thing to do following our feasts was to head for a nice leisurely walk along the Thames- so we did just that, from near Victoria all the way along to the Globe- at our own pace, meandering along, just chatting away. Or rather, me having a very long rant at J which I still feel rather guilty about. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise publicly to J for being such a stroppy madam that afternoon. I'm still not 100% sure what got into me- I'm going to blame it on too much white flour. Because that's logical. I'm honestly not sure why he puts up with me sometimes...




After a long potter around the book stalls outside the National Theatre, we decided to cross the river for a little peek into St Paul's, as neither of us had been in before. I am not religious in the slightest, but I love the sensation of peace that exists inside church buildings- the air feels almost heavier inside churches, I think- full of whispered prayers, reverent sighs, hushed tones. It's lovely.



We crossed the river again for a drink with my uni friend L, who regaled us with stories of people we went to uni with who I haven't seen in yonks, and her dating antics, before dashing back to the hotel to grab our bags and head back to Paddington, where J put a sad little Alice back on a train to Cardiff. London- you're great. I'll be back again soon, I'm sure...

London new and old...

9 comments:

  1. What a perfect trip! Nothing beats strolling along the Thames :)

    Love Wicked, it brings tears to my eyes x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect Londony weekend, I do miss living there.
    Have you read the Gregory Maguire book Wicked? I'm sure you have, it's brilliant too. If not, read it!!
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your next visit to London so I can take you to a few other tasty places to try too!! Glad you had a good weekend though, and that blue dress is gorgeous!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a super weekend. You crammed in so much. I must definitely make a visit to Honest Burger, it looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to see Wicked just haven't got very far in booking tickets, one day. I had breakfast at Le Pain a few weeks ago and thought the same thing about lots of independent cafes, but the food was lovely and I was hungry!
    Becky The Shutterbug Blog x

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a Londoner who has since moved from the city it was lovely to see the pictures you shared. I particularly like the final picture of new and old. Thanks for sharing, it looks like you had a lovely trip.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh you were near my office! I bet your blogger senses were tingling.

    Honest burger is just the best - next time you're down try Patty & Bun off Oxford Street which is still my top burger joint, or for a meat feast hit Bodeans!

    That dress is so nice, there is a Joy right by my office tempting me every pay day! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those burgers look immense, somewhere to visit next time the six meet???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hummingbird Bakery and Wicked is a truly winning combination! :D

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog