Monday, 17 March 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 58)

I like taking random time off. I think it's one of the best things about being a grown up- getting to choose when you take your annual leave. There's something that feels just so delicious about not having to go to work when everyone else around you does, don't you think?

I'm currently in the middle of a nice few days off- I took Friday afternoon and Monday-Wednesday off and already I feel particularly relaxed. Even if I did get up at 6:15am this morning, just to make sure I was showered and ready to leave the house at 7am to drive "home" for a few days. Not exactly normal behaviour on a Monday off, but hey ho, such is life.

I was saying to J yesterday that it has been a long, long time since I've felt as generally content as I do now. And yes, there are some really not great things in my life at the moment- I am particularly struggling with a certain group of people, for instance- generally speaking, I have very little to complain about. I currently firmly believe that we are the only people with the power to control how we feel- being negative does not a positive life make, after all.

So on that note, this week, happiness is...


... Sunday afternoons playing board games. This weekend, M and I had a few of our university friends to stay, and we spent a rather large chunk of Sunday afternoon playing The Game of Life in our very sunny living room. It was bliss, and I managed not to lose any friends with my overly competitive nature (mostly because I spent most of the game losing). I'll count that as a success.

... unconventional roasts. My friends J and N are fantastic at thinking up slightly innovative, unconventional roasts, in the same vein as is Jamie Oliver's Empire Roast Chicken. This weekend they came to ours, and made all of us an incredible Asian-inspired roast, full of Chinese five spice roast potatoes, stir fried broccoli and pak choi, and garlicky, gingery roast chicken. Unbelievably good.


... feeling warm! Seriously, this little interlude from the rain has done me the world of good. Lying in the park on Saturday afternoon and not wearing a coat has made such a difference to how I feel. I'd love for it to continue- and after that winter, I think we deserve it, no? And the pretty sunsets we get when the weather has been lovely all day aren't something to be sniffed at either...


... getting all dressed up for suppers out. I love an excuse to get dressed up, put some make up and a pair of heels on, and go out somewhere- whether it's with J, my mum, or a group of friends. On Saturday it was the latter, and while we just went for tapas and amazing burgers at our favourite restaurant, it was so much fun to get all fancied up.


... sharing clothes. I grew up with two brothers, so have never really had much experience of sharing clothes with anyone- they tended not to like me stealing their jumpers, even. Living with M has been a revelation- I love sharing my clothes with others, and having another wardrobe to pick from is so great sometimes. It's like shopping, but without spending any money!

What's making you happy this week? 

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with an overly competitive nature when it comes to board games. And it's great to hear that you're not letting a group of people hold you back, whatever the problem is :)

    Georgia

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog