Monday, 10 March 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 57)

I swear to god, week days never go as quickly as weekend days, do they!?

Sometimes, I absolutely love working full time- I love the busy-ness, the sense of purpose, obviously I like being paid, and I often think my brain would turn to mush if I wasn't in work all the time. But sometimes, I think it would be so lovely to not go to work- I genuinely don't think I'd struggle to fill my time in the slightest. I'd bake, I'd do all the things around the house that always get put to one side, and I'd be super fit because I'd be able to do all sorts of exercise rather than being sat behind a desk all day.

But alas, this is not the case. Today I'm back in the office, staring longingly out of the window (at another building, but dreaming of the countryside, the beach, or even just the park) and wishing that it was still Sunday afternoon. 

So to keep myself entertained, and to fight away the case of The Mondays I'm sure has hit, this week, happiness is....


... flowers in my bedroom. My beautiful housemate bought me some gorgeous lilies the other week to thank me for helping her out with some house bits while she was out of the country. I am so rarely bought flowers that this feels like an enormous treat, and I felt so spoilt- seriously, the way to my heart is quite clearly flowers. They are just opening up now, and are making the room smell incredible.

... Singstar.  On Saturday night, I went to a friend's birthday party. We started off all just casually having drinks over cake in the kitchen when K's boyfriend came in, demanded we all move to the living room, and fanned out a vast array of Singstar discs. We spent the rest of the night drinking and singing, and I haven't had so much fun, or got so competitive, in AGES. Seriously. The words "NEVER apologise for victory!!" slipped out of my mouth, to everyone's shock and amusement. Between P and I, we beat the rest of the group- so I challenged him to a duel. We got top scores of the night singing Toto- Africa (where he beat me by thirty points. We each got over 9000 so this wasn't a big difference!), and then I beat him at You Give Love A Bad Name and I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues to claim the crown of Overall Singstar Victor. Clearly, listening to a lot of Radio 2 and singing in the car has its benefits.



... rainbow cakes. Oh, I know I've posted on this before but I made a rainbow cake for the aforementioned party and it went down SO well- and as well as looking cool, it tasted pretty awesome too. I also learnt from the previous attempt- I would strongly recommend using Wilton gel food colourings rather than Dr Oetker as the colour you get is SO much better. And stack as late as possible- this stops the cakes from compressing before you eat them. Happy days! (And dreadful pictures. Apologies)

... very late birthday presents. My lovely friend J is not the most organised of gents, so despite the fact that my birthday was in January, and that I've seen him several times since then, I only received a birthday present from him on Saturday. I was not complaining though- who wouldn't like to get a birthday present nearly two months after their actual birthday?!


... sunshiney spring weekends. Really, is there anything better!? I have adored having a good bit of sunshine on my lovely, relaxed weekend- though I'm not sure that my version of "relaxed" is the same as everyone else's- I'll tell you all about it this week and you can just for me.

What's making you happy this week?

5 comments:

  1. It's so true what you say about weekends! Sometimes I am not sure they even exist at all, I feel as though my whole life is spent in front of an excel spreadsheet!
    That cake looks amazing, I could never have the patience to bake something like that x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would totally be all over a cake like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I love singstar too! When I was at Uni we played an unhealthy amount of it! Its impossible not to be super competitive with it ;)
    That rainbow cake looks perfect :)
    Kaz at Sunshine Days x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog