Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Bloggers Do Dorset- Part 3

And so we come to the final (very late) installment of our bloggers trip to Dorset. Though I'm warning you, this is a beast of a post...

Waking up on Sunday morning, there was only one thing on most of our minds. Pancakes.

Fortunately, Bess is a pancake maker extraordinaire. I mean just look at them. And I promise, they were at least six times as tasty as they are beautiful. Which means they were amazing with peanut butter, sliced banana, and golden syrup (which, by the by, is probably how I will be eating my pancakes today. Though I might get some chocolate in there too, before I deprive myself of its sugary goodness for 40 days and 40 nights [plus Sundays]). I'm told they were also exceptional with bacon and avocado- but I'm too much of a sweet tooth for that.



Suitably fed and watered, those of us who hadn't made it into suitable clothing (yes, that included me) dashed off to shower and dress so we could make the most of the sunshine. Bearing in mind that this was merely days after the apocalyptic rain which left most of Somerset underwater, this a small amount of sunshine, and a chalk giant's giant, um... yeah... made us slightly giddy.

I'm not going to lie- regardless of the Giant carved into the hill, it really was a giant hill. And that's coming from a girl who grew up on Dartmoor, home of more hills than you can shake a stick at. But we aren't the sort of girls to shy away from a big hill- oh no. There were photographs to be taken! 


Isn't our little Ellie beautiful? Even when she looks faintly baffled by the fact I'm taking a picture. Mostly, I was just trying to get a snap of Ibbs' hilarious photographer stance in the background.


The little trek to the top of the hill was worth it though- and I was glad I didn't chicken out halfway up (it was steep, I was wearing ankle boots, and was faintly terrified of how I was going to get back down). We were greeted with glorious sunshine, high winds, and rather stonking views...


Turns out, we all take in these views differently. Some stand, some perch, and some, well... lie as flat as they can get to get that perfect shot. Seriously, I think we all need to start a new series- Ibbs' brilliant photography positions. (Love you really I!)




Views suitably soaked up, we carefully picked our way back down the hill. Well. Most of us did- Cheryl tried to give me a heart attack by rolling down the hill, and Ellie slipped and ended up with a very muddy bum- so I made her sit on a blanket in the car on the drive back to the house.



Big groups of bloggers mean big group shots of bloggers. And while our lovely Bess is notable in her absence (she remained at the house for reasons which will soon become clear), the rest of us put our pose on for a couple of group snaps on the bridge, in between game of Pooh Sticks, before striking out in the opposite direction to actually see the Giant in all his glory- and take more group shots.





Cobwebs suitably blown away, we drove back to our not-so-humble abode to find that Bess had been a very busy bee, making us the most delightful of roasts, complete with giant yorkshire pudding, ginger roast ham, whole roasted carrots and parsnips, and brilliant skin-on roast potatoes. My tummy was very happy as a result...




All too soon after our late lunch, however, the girls started to slip away, leaving Bess, Ellie, Jenny and me with just enough ingredients to make a faintly lemony bundt cake which fell apart spectacularly when I tried to get it out of the tin. Turns out, you're supposed to leave bundt cakes to cool completely in the tin before removing them- but I'm just not patient enough for that. Still, it tasted pretty good when eaten with some of my favourite girls in front of A Knights Tale.



But too soon it was bedtime, and too soon after that it was Monday morning, and time to bid our farewells with big squeezes, admonishments to behave oneself in Indonesia (Ellie) and promises to see each other soon (Bess and Jenny- who I was seeing a mere fortnight later).

All in all- a pretty damn lovely weekend. Time spent with bloggers is unlike time spent with any other type of person. They're the ones who get why you took eight pictures of the same thing, will be patient while you snap at their food, and who don't try to rush you away from the view. 

IbbsBessJenny, CherylBeccaFreyaHannah, and Ellie- it was an absolute pleasure. I'm sure our paths will be crossing again soon!

8 comments:

  1. Aw I've loved reading all your posts about this weekend and that roast looks INCREDIBLE - those carrots and parsnips! Too good!

    Bxx
    b-jolly.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun! I also know what you mean! None of my friends blog and always find it very strange that I need quite so many pics of food! x x

    www.curiouser-and-curiouser.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos :) i've loved reading about this! Looks like you had a fab time. I'd love to get together with bloggers somewhere 'cos i've never met someone who actually blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw yeah! It's all about the crazy poses for that 'perfect' angle hehe :)
    So lovely spending the weekend with you ma'dear - I'll come over to Wales for a weekend when uni craziness is out the way
    x x x
    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely weekend! I'm very envious of that wonderful looking roast :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved reading yours and Jenny's posts about the weekend it looked amazing! I also demand the bess shares her pancake secret immediately! They are exactly my idea of pancakes not the flimsy things everyone was eating this week!

    Jenni x

    Bows Bangles & Bakes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww you are the cutest (for the beautiful comment ;)). I have pineapple hair.

    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha yep I'm all about the crazy poses :)
    Gutted to miss out on that beast of a roast
    x x x
    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog