Monday, 24 February 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 55)

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen that last night I tweeted that I've had the best weekend ever. I don't think that's an overexaggeration. This weekend started on Thursday night, when I drove straight to J's house (a mere 100 miles away) to spend the night there before heading home for Friday and Saturday, before heading to the Warner Bros Harry Potter Studio Tour on Sunday with a bunch of rather brilliant bloggers as organised by Jenny (I'll be popping up a full post on this in the week!). To be honest, just those things would have made for a really brilliant weekend- but why was it the best weekend ever? Well, carry on reading and I might just explain a few things below...

To be honest, life in general at the moment is really good. I feel like I'm really making the most of the free time I have at the moment, I'm taking lots of the opportunities that have come my way, and I'm just really enjoying myself. I feel like a really, really good version of myself at the moment too- confident, independent, and happy. Life is good (if a little tiring), and this week, happiness is...


... excellent news. On Saturday, my younger brother and his girlfriend of eight years got engaged and I genuinely couldn't be happier for them! I had a feeling that they'd get engaged at some point this year, but this was a little sooner than I'd expected so it came completely out of the blue. I was so happy to be home when it happened, as it meant I got to see them and give them big squeezes, squeal in their ears about how happy I was, and bombard them with questions about things they haven't even thought of yet. I am genuinely just so, so excited, and this is the main thing that made my weekend so brilliant. And the cake? Well, my default reaction to exciting news is "BAKE!" (to be said in a Mel/Sue GBBO-style voice), so that is a cake I knocked together as quickly as possible so I had something to give them to celebrate with.


... going to the theatre. If all of that excitement wasn't enough, on Friday night my brother's fiancee (!!!) (though actually she wasn't at the time...), her mum, my mum, and I went to the Theatre Royal in Plymouth to see The Lion King. It was so good- seriously, a really genuinely brilliant production. I'd highly recommend it! And just in general, a night at the theatre is one of my absolute favourite things to do- it just feels like such a treat!

... new carpets. While I was away this weekend, my lovely housemate/ landlady/ best friend had carpets fitted on the stairs and landing, her bedroom, and my bedroom. I loved the wooden floors we had before, but the carpets have made the house feel so cosy. Warm feet ahoy!


... pizza (or just food being delivered to the door). I don't eat a lot of pizza. In fact, I don't eat a lot of junk food (other than chocolate. I eat an awful lot of that). But on Thursday night, J and I decided we couldn't be bothered with cooking, so pizza was ordered. A) Pizza is brilliant when you don't eat it all that often and B) whoever came up with the idea of delivering food to people's doors was a genius. Having a takeaway delivered still feels like a massive novelty to me- living in rural Devon, you don't really get to have food delivered! So when you combine the two things, a happy (full) Alice is the result.

... taking make up off at the end of the day. After all that excitement, I ended Sunday feeling very tired, but very happy. I'd worn make up to the Studio Tour as I knew that hundreds of pictures would be taken, and it was likely I'd end up in some of them. But taking off my make up at the end of the day made me feel so relaxed. Honestly, is there a better feeling than taking off your make up and putting on your PJs? I don't think so.

Happy face! This does not demonstrate the above as, clearly, I'm wearing eye make up here. Oops.
What's making you happy this week? 

9 comments:

  1. Oh so exciting for your brother!!!! I was wondering what the urgent-baking was for! Hooray! Definitely Happiness Is! So glad you are settling into your new changes well and enjoying them all. Go Alice!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for happy weekends! Looking forward to your post about the Harry Potter tour. I am DESPERATE to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your brother and his girlfriend, an engagement in the family is always an exciting prospect.
    Also, it's always nice when everything in life feels 'good' isn't it - being content with life isn't always easily achievable so well done on finding a balance.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yey for great weekends and happy news! I do love a good pizza although we're on a bit of a mission atm to find healthy places that do them - we came across an organic, green gourmet pizza place the other week - smoked salmon on a pizza?! Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely week you had! The cake looks awesome :)

    We had chinese delivered on Friday, take out is definitely the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, congrats to your brother and your soon to be sister?! I bet you get roped in to make the cake Miss Bake-Off. You also have to post your pictures from the Studio Tour! I'd love to see them!

    Have fun celebrating!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've nominated you for a Liebster award! http://welcometolilysworldblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such huge congratulations to your brother and what a lucky bugger getting that cake!! Even if you did whip it up as quickly as possible I'm salivating this end! And fresh, new carpets? I love them!! Bella xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog