Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Brunching

You know what the best meal of the day is? Brunch. Closely followed by standard breakfast and afternoon tea, but I have a very soft spot in my heart for brunch. Partly because if I'm patient enough to wait until mid-morning to feed myself, I get to skip the meal I find most stressful- lunch.

Fortunately, J shares in this love of mine, and whenever he visits we tend to go out for brunch. I'm lucky enough to live a moments walk from Juno Lounge, so we've sampled their breakfast-y offerings a couple of times (I can highly recommend the Dirty Baked Beans and Baked Ham, Spinach and Poached Eggs). Last weekend, however, J found himself in the centre of Cardiff with an underfed, under-caffeinated, and still slightly sleepy Alice, so we headed straight for Bill's before I yelled at him out of hanger (anger caused by hunger).


Now I'm pretty certain every blogger worth their salt has brunched at Bill's before, and this wasn't the first time I'd sampled their breakfast menu either- but still.



There's something about Bill's, isn't there? I mean, I know it's really a chain, and the branches do all kind of have the same vibe but it's a vibe I like. The one in Cardiff is right at the top of Wyndham Arcade, on The Hayes- one of my favourite parts of Cardiff city centre. It's retained some old-world charm even with the ginormous mall they've put up right beside it. (Not that I'm complaining about the mall. I rather like shopping indoors, actually...)



Our drinks orders were taken speedily, with me opting for what turned out to be an enormous pot of tea (there was no risk of me being under caffeinated after that bad boy), while J chose a chocolate fudge brownie milkshake. At breakfast time. I just didn't get it but hey- I tried a sip and while I couldn't drink more than a couple of sips of one, it was pretty tasty. 

"No, please let me take a picture of your food before you eat it!"


I was massively surprised when J ordered the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon- he's normally a Full English kind of person, but in fairness to him, a) that was a huge plate of eggs and b) at Bill's, you do kind of have to pay extra to add a lot of the good bits onto your breakfast (and who pays £1 for a portion of baked beans?! Not me).

I, of course, went for the Eggs Benedict. If it's on a menu, I have it, primarily because making your own hollandaise whilst poaching eggs just seems like a massive faff, and I can't see that it's something I'll ever do. Maybe if I'm bored one day? Who knows. Regardless, my eggs were perfectly poached, and I could have eaten so so much of their amazing sourdough toast.

As it was, I managed to out-eat J, who couldn't finish his eggs- reason number 2 why having a milkshake at breakfast time isn't the world's greatest idea. And clearly that was the reason why my korfball team won, and his lost, a couple of hours later...

8 comments:

  1. Oh I usually have brunch and then something for lunch as well. Food is too yummy to skip. I've never even heard of Bills. The eggs look so dang good. Do they have a Bill's up in Scotland? I'm going to have to look into this. www.prettynostalgia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. urg I love poached eggs with anything, well no just eggs for breakfast really. Hard boiled mushed in a sandwich with tabasco... suprisingly under-rated...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not a breakfast person, but I LOVE going out for brunch. I've never been to Bill's and I feel like I'm missing out. Totally agree that fudge brownie milkshakes aren't for breakfast though! Blurgh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I think I need to do another bills brunch. I'm a big brunch fan, Carluccio's for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice. I've lived In Cardiff for over four years and only recently discovered Juno Lounge! I'm now in love. Dirty baked beans are amazing, pretty fond of the eggy bread and bacon stack too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE BILLS SO MUCH! I first discovered it when I was living in London. My friend was staying for the weekend and we wanted to go somewhere for brunch and we were a little bored of Giraffe, so she typed into google "best place for brunch in London" and Bills popped up! At the time it was one of two in the UK (the other being in its originating town of Brighton) so we'd never heard of it. We thought we'd give it a go and we just fell in love! Since then they seem to be slowly popping up all over, I'm just waiting for them to come up North now, as far as I'm aware there aren't any up here yet, I REALLY need one in Newcastle, I miss my brunch fix! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. D'ya know what, once I had a Bills and it wasn't all that good BUT THESE PICTURES MAKE ME CHANGE MY MIND. I'm bloody going to brunch there ASAP. I'm fully with you on your brunch choice - a classic. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh wow that looks amazing - I want some smoked salmon on bagels now! Best ever! x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog