Friday, 21 February 2014

Bloggers Do Dorset- Part One

A couple of weekends ago, I thoroughly confused my Cardiff friends by announcing that I was off to Dorset for the weekend with a group of people I’d never met. To be honest, that wasn’t strictly true as my beloved Jenny, Ellie, and Bess would be there, but I had never met the gorgeous Ibbs, Freya, Becca, Cheryl, or our organiser extraordinaire Hannah before. But I guess when you read people’s lives on the internet, you kind of do know them- you know!?


Picture belongs to Hannah
Becca, Cheryl, Ibbs, Bess, Ellie (top), Jenny (top), me, Hannah, and Freya
I set off from Cardiff on a reasonably sunny afternoon and pootled my way down the M5 and across Somerset to the lovely Ashley House, a house rented from Sykes Cottages house we had rented for the weekend. All was going very smoothly until I was somewhere in Dorset and my satnav decided to direct me through a ford. Literally. A ford that is always there but had become something of a river because of the enormous amounts of rain we’ve had over the past few weeks. Because I’m stubborn, a bit stupid, and knew there was a tractor right behind me (which could have pushed/ pulled me out if I’d got stuck), I braced myself and drove straight through it. Bearing in mind I drive a little Peugeot 207 which has a habit of allowing things to break/ fall off/ go wrong, you could say that this was one of the more stupid decisions I’ve made in my life, but little Henri did me proud, and we made it through in one piece and without water getting into the system. Success!


On my arrival at the gorgeous house, I found Ibbs and Hannah chatting in the kitchen. I promptly perched myself on the kitchen counter, made a cup of tea, and got down to the serious business of gossiping until Becca, Freya and Cheryl arrived for the weekend. We caught up/ introduced ourselves over a veritable feast of pizza, onion rings, chips, and wine, and were considerate enough to save the rose for Jenny, Ellie and Bess who had the most stressful journey after getting caught behind an accident on their way down. All too soon, however, the journeys caught up with us, and we stumbled off to bed...



I awoke bright eyed and bushy tailed to a text from Bess telling me she was awake and to come and play with her in the kitchen. I crept out of the room I was sharing with Jenny (not very quietly, it seems as she appeared only ten minutes later- sorry J!) to go in search of tea and breakfast. Hannah had sorted provisions for us for the weekend, and had supplied us all with cereal, amazing bread, bacon, avocados and, most importantly, nutella. So while most of the girls waited patiently for bacon sandwiches, I busied myself with the crumpets and nutella, and then got terrible food envy when I saw Ibbs' avocado-bacon-ketchup-on-toast contraption. Oh well, such is life...

Image belongs to Ibbs
Fed, watered, and highly caffeinated, we all piled ourselves into the cars to head for the coast- Taylor Swift's Speak Now blasting from the stereo in Henri. We made our way to Lulworth Cove which, I'm told, is usually calm, clear, and beautiful. What we got was bloody windy, very choppy, and ginormous crashing waves...





After we had been suitably blown about, we headed back up the road to the pub for cups of tea and free apples. Why the pub was giving away free apples I have no idea, but it was a lovely touch and really added to the charm of the place. Plus- one of your five a day just handed to you in a basket is never going to go amiss, is it!?



I'll stop there- for the time being. There's still all of Saturday evening, Sunday, and Monday morning to tell you about. In the meantime, check out the girls who have mostly been a bit speedier than I have in their posting, if you really can't wait to find out what we got up to...!

JennyEllieBess, IbbsFreyaBeccaCheryl, Hannah

7 comments:

  1. YAY so lovely to read your account of our adventures - you do have such a way with words ma'dear
    big love
    x x x
    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely little blog meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun! And the house looks looovely!
    Kaz at Sunshine Days x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the perfect little holiday!x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog