Wednesday, 29 January 2014

What I Want To Wear

I am currently going through one of those times with my wardrobe where I don't like or want to wear anything contained within it. 

And I'm using the word wardrobe loosely here- I mentioned I'm living out of a suitcase at the moment, right? Yeah, I had to try to fit enough clothes to last me several weeks, including all of my workwear, into one suitcase that is currently languishing at the foot of the single bed I'm currently calling mine. It's been a struggle, and I'm trying to think of it as a "capsule wardrobe" because it includes breton stripes, a grey cashmere jumper, and my favourite jeans but really- all I can think about is the fact that I don't always want to wear those things and sometimes, it really sucks.

From here
Workwear is really pretty dull, but also incredibly easy. I tend to wear dresses to work- I realised today that I am not a "smart trousers and pretty top" kind of person. I don't like wearing those things because I don't feel like me in them. I feel like me in a long sleeved grey dress (yes, I found one!), or a pencil skirt and flimsy sleeveless blouse, or a black dress I once wore to dress up as Audrey Hepburn. It makes it a bit tricky- a pair of trousers can be worn three days running, I guess, but I will not wear the same work dress twice in two weeks, which is ridiculous as I don't notice what other people wear to work, so why should they notice me? 

Found here
I wish I could do the cool androgyny thing but let's be honest- I'm just not cool enough for that. I try, but I'm  just not. No, I can do collars, and chunky cardigans, and enough stripes to make me in charge of every armed force in the country. 

From here
I wish I was braver when it comes to the clothes I buy but I'm actually really wary about wasting my money. I don't like the idea of buying something only for it to stay in my wardrobe, waiting for the perfect time to wear it, so instead, I buy the same things over and over, things which look good but which don't make my heart sing. Maybe one day I'll be braver- maybe, I'll put on something ridiculous and I'll think "this looks good!" and I'll wear it and feel amazing.

From here

But until then, I'll keep wistfully looking at the girls on Pinterest, who look nothing like me and who have crazily long legs and the stamina to stroll around in heels, and think "maybe one day".

From here

5 comments:

  1. I'm going through a post-Christmas fed-up-of-January fat phase right now so nothing looks or fits right. I'm at the stage in winter when I want to get my spring clothes out and yet that time feels like ages away. I guess it's a case of wanting what I can't have...and wanting that second biscuit a little too much! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am having a wardrobe crisis, all my clothes feel outdated, old, and don't fit me well anymore. It's tricky to get dressed some mornings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have similar work clothes dilemmas! I rely a lot on my black suit with a different top under it. Boring I know, but it does look smart and doesn't require much thought when I'm getting ready in the morning. Plus it looks acceptable with flats which is good news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh I love your inspiration. I loathe not having full access to my wardrobe, it makes me really angsty :/ x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish i could run around in heels all day too! im such a manky converse kinda gyal! x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog