Wednesday, 15 January 2014

The Blogger Book Club: Date For Your Diary

Apologies for the slight radio silence as far as the Blogger Book Club has been concerned- as I'm sure you can imagine, it's been a whirlwind month or so and the poor little book club may have slipped my mind slightly.



But not any more! As you might remember, Jenny and I announced back in November that the book would be A Tale For The Time Being. And of course, being the absolute muppet that I am, I promptly forgot to actually read said book.

Well, now I have a deadline. We have decided that the book club chat will be held on this here blog on Thursday 13th February- so even if you haven't started reading the book yet, you still have time to get involved! A Tale For The Time Being was nominated for the 2013 Man Booker Prize, and sounds fantastic- 

'Hi! My name is Nao, and I am a time being. Do you know what a time being is? Well, if you give me a moment, I will tell you.'
Ruth discovers a Hello Kitty lunchbox washed up on the shore of her beach home. Within it lies a diary that expresses the hopes and dreams of a young girl. She suspects it might have arrived on a drift of debris from the 2011 tsunami. With every turn of the page, she is sucked deeper into an enchanting mystery.
In a small cafe in Tokyo, sixteen-year-old Nao Yasutani is navigating the challenges thrown up by modern life. In the face of cyberbullying, the mysteries of a 104-year-old Buddhist nun and great-grandmother, and the joy and heartbreak of family, Nao is trying to find her own place - and voice - through a diary she hopes will find a reader and friend who finally understands her.
Weaving across continents and decades, and exploring the relationship between reader and writer, fact and fiction, A Tale for the Time Being is an extraordinary novel about our shared humanity and the search for home.

So don't forget! The chat will work in much the same way as our last one did- which you can check out here. Basically, I'll pop up a post including a few questions on the book which you can then answer in the comments. If you subscribe to the comments/ click "notify me", then any comments which are posted on the post will be pinged to your email, and you'll know to check back and respond. Which basically means that even if you aren't able to get involved on 13th, you can still get involved in the chat! Cool, eh?!

Have you read A Tale For The Time Being

2 comments:

  1. Happily scribbled this date in my Filofax and will be keeping my eyes out for the post, I'm about halfway through the book and loving it so far! :) x

    http://theuniversityffproject.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am almost done with chapter one. I sort of misplaced my ereader, but will search for it tonight. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog