Monday, 20 January 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 51)

Life in Cardiff really is very good. So far, it has been a whirlwind, and that means that blogging has somewhat suffered- though I'm sure you all either a) hadn't noticed or b) are completely understanding of this fact. 

As I write this, it's Sunday evening and I am curled up on my squeaky little bed in my lovely friends' spare room, wrapped in a blanket and clutching a mug of tea, having the first truly quiet evening I've had since arriving in Cardiff over a week ago. I'm hoping to catch up on some blog reading, but to be completely honest, I am far more likely to finish writing this and continue my Grey's Anatomy watching- because quite frankly, it's absolutely brilliant.

But before that, I have list writing to do. And this week, happiness is...

Birthday breakfasts are my new favourite thing
... the huge amount of birthday love I received. Thank you all so much for your kind comments, tweets, messages, und so weiter- I received so many "happy birthday" messages that my phone died at 4:30pm, which was mildly traumatic. I was thoroughly spoilt with incredibly thoughtful gifts, and to be honest, I just spent the whole day with a massive grin on my face. And so far, despite my misgivings, 24 has been really rather brilliant.


This picture does that cake NO JUSTICE
... Oreo cake. OH MY GOD. As some friends and I wandered back from my birthday supper on Friday night, I realised I hadn't had a birthday cake. Fortunately, J and N quickly stepped up to the mark and on Sunday, I was presented with an unbelievably brilliant Oreo cake. I have no idea where the recipe came from, but it is definitely one I'll be hunting out and trying for myself. And I'm sure you'll all see the results!

... drinking wine with lunch. There's something really very grown up about drinking wine at lunchtime, don't you think? Obviously this isn't one for the week days (unless you work in the sort of office which approves of that sort of behaviour, in which case- fill your boots), but really- is there anything more happy-making than a glass of really cold white wine over a long weekend lunch? I think not.


... new PJs. As soon as I finish writing this, I will be popping on my new Fat Face pyjamas (they make the best loungewear, and no, they didn't ask me to say that) and snuggling up. New Pjs are just absolute bliss.

... singing along to Taylor Swift in the car. I currently don't really have a CD collection- as in, the only CD I currently own is Taylor Swift's Speak Now, and it was given to me on Friday. Fortunately, it's an unbelievably brilliant album and it is now my driving soundtrack of choice- and singing along is mandatory. Top tune from the album in my opinion is Mean, though J disagrees with me and thinks the chorus of Better Than Revenge is like musical crack cocaine. Listen to both and let me know who's right! (Me, obviously)

To be honest, there are millions more things just from this weekend which I could have included here- but perhaps some of the happiest moments are best kept inside, for the days where it isn't so easy to think of the bright things. 

What's making you happy this week?

3 comments:

  1. This post contains everything that I love. Birthday breakfasts are awesome and yours looks absolutely scrumptious! Cake, I love cake and that is all I need say on the matter and PYJAMAS. I love pyjamas so much! So yes, this post is definitely the perfect roundup of what happiness is! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a lovely start to a great year ahead. I'm glad you're settling into your new life in Cardiff.
    And those pyjamas - gorgeous. They look so cosy! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday lovely, glad 24 is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog