Monday, 6 January 2014

Happiness Is... (vol. 49)

So far, I like 2014. 

I rang in the New Year in a bar in Plymouth, where we remained until 4am. Turns out, I am still able to send vaguely coherent tweets at that hour (ignore the fact that it says 8:04pm on the thingybob, I think it's set to PST for some reason) and at that level of inebriation, which is something I'm faintly proud of- despite the fact that I am rapidly approaching 24, I think I'm still able to cling onto the idea that I'm not quite a fully fledged adult just yet.

It may not have stopped raining all year, but I've still managed to get out for wanders, shopping trips, and runs. I bought a new pair of Nike Lunarglides (which I am so excited to take for a spin, and which hopefully will help me towards my goal for 2014 of running a half marathon) and 1.5kg of chocolate on the same day- which will balance any notions of being healthy out nicely.

 So yes. 2014 so far is all well and good, and with a move at the end of the week looming, I'm hoping that it will continue in the same vein. But regardless, this week, happiness is...

Found here
... coming in from the rain. So I know we've had faintly apocalyptic weather so far this year, but really- when you have to brave the outside, getting back into a warm, dry house is a very good feeling indeed. Bonus points for tea, double bonus points if it's loose leaf.

... spending time with people who want to spend time with you. You know- the ones who pester you to arrive earlier, stay later, spend more time, or squish in another visit. I'm working on seeing as many people as possible before I leave, and the ones who have been doing this have been giving me the warm and fuzzies.

Found here
... feeling more body confident. I somehow managed to lose weight over Christmas (though actually, it happens every year), and I'm currently feeling much happier with how I look. Not that there was really anything wrong with how I looked before, but it's all about perspective, isn't it?

... time. I've managed to get myself three weeks off work between finishing my old job, and starting my new one. Having that time to see people, relax, and just generally recuperate has been so great, particularly when you consider that whenever I've changed jobs previously, I have left one on the Friday to start afresh elsewhere on the Monday. Though I am getting to the point where I'm not entirely sure what to do with myself...


... new recipe books. I was given three new recipe books for Christmas, and picked up a further two when shopping the other day. I love new recipe books, even if I am prone to completely disregarding everything the recipe says, and doing my own thing with the ingredients. What can I say?!

What's making you happy this week?

4 comments:

  1. The fun of recipe books is in reading what they tell you to and then doing something else entirely, while still ending up with some deliciousness! Glad to see that you're enjoying some downtime before your move, hoping it's lovely : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I can never resist a recipe book! Being tucked up in bed with a hot water bottle, listening to the rain outside is making me pretty happy right now. xx

    http://www.sophie-denise.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I like this week's happiness post a lot. Let me know what the recipe books are like, you know I can't resist one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Clandestine Cake Club is a fab book - beautiful pictures as well! We went to a talk by the founder of the club back in May (http://duck-in-a-dress.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/day-14-food-glorious-food.html) complete with lots and lots and lots of cake!
    I've done a few recipes from the book and they all seem great, oven timings that are actually correct and a finished product that actually looks like the picture! :-) x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog