Saturday, 11 January 2014

Goodbye England (Covered In Snow)

OK, so it's not snowing. But Laura Marling's version sounds far more poetic.

I'm moving today. Back to Wales, back to my university city of Cardiff, back to the fatherland (mon pere est gallois). And I feel OK about it.


I took these photos on New Year's Eve. My head and my heart felt full, and when this happens, I tend to head out onto the moor for fresh air and thinking space. And as I surveyed my little kingdom, and though about how soon I'd be leaving it, and all the people nearby, behind, I felt... brave. OK, so it isn't the biggest leap I've ever made- I've still got university friends in Cardiff, I have family 30 miles down the road, but it's something I am doing for me.


There are things I'm going to miss massively- some are tangible like my bed, the cat, many a person- particularly those who have talked me into going despite them not-so-secretly not wanting me to go. Some, however, are less tangible. The feeling I get when I stand on the moor and can't see a car or another person. The quiet. The view from my bedroom window, or the way mum comes and wakes me with a cup of tea when she's working and I'm not. 


I'm hopeful that this is a good move. It's certainly a sensible move. It's a much better job, it's far more sensible for me to be in a city, it really isn't that far away, I love the people I have there. And I am so excited. And terrified, but only in that really really good way.


So let's do this. Let's go and be brave, and do the things that are good for us, even if we have to be talked into them. Let's move on, drive across bridges and into countries which both are and aren't different, towards the future Alice who is waiting for me there. 

12 comments:

  1. Darling Alice, this was absolutely BEAUTIFULLY written. I am so, so proud of you for moving, even when it's scary - and I know that you're going to make an absolute success of everything you turn your clever hand too. I know how lucky I am to have you in my life, and I just hope everyone else does too xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move! It sounds like you've really thought it out well and are being logical. I'm sure you'll soon be settled and everything you want from the change will come to light! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Can't help but feel proud of you, bless :) Life is all about making changes and moving forwards - so this will be awesome for you! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - what a lovely post to express your feelings! The moors seem to hold the same influence over you as the beach does for me - at least they will always be there for when you return. I hope that you have an excellent move and your future in Cardiff is awesome! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a moving post Alice - I'm so excited for you and I know that you will thrive in your new job and location. Cardiff is lucky to have you back! Bella x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting - wishing you all the best Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck for your move and new job. Changes are always scary but it sounds like you're doing it for all the right reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck Alice. I've really enjoyed reading your blog recently. I love the last line so much...towards a future person waiting for you - yourself, but a version of yourself yet to be formed. It's a thought I've often had but rarely been able to articulate. Thank you for sharing & have a great first day at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, Alice!!! And this is a truly lovely post.

    Meghan xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. im excited for you. its going to be a excellent adventure for you! haha these pics are amazing too x

    http://itsmegsmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the move. Cardiff is a wonderful city, and I hope you're a very happy lady there.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog