Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Cardiff Life

As I've mentioned, life in Cardiff so far has been something of a whirlwind. A fairly active, brilliantly mentally busy whirlwind and I am absolutely loving every second of it. Life in general is a bit of a whirlwind at the moment- I have something on every weekend between now and March and it's all incredibly fun stuff with some of my very favourite people in the world. 


The Cardiff whirlwind has so far involved many a supper with friends, korfball training with a new team, workday "lie-ins" (getting up at 7am instead of 6:15am will never ever get old), bootcamp pilates, and walks to work featuring soundtracks by The Gaslight Anthem and Taylor Swift. There have been birthday breakfasts and dinners (and another will be taking place tonight); an chilly walk to work where I slipped on ice no less than three times; a rainy stroll around Roath Park followed by a late brunch in Juno Lounge; and long conversations over small buckets of tea.



A combination of my birthday, multiple visiting Js, and everyone just liking a reason to gather around our beautiful kitchen table with food and wine resulted in an excellent excuse for an enormous Sunday roast. And because I'm incapable of watching other people cook without helping interfering, I volunteered to cook. A whole roast. For nine people. By myself.


And by some near miracle, we all ended up with plates piled high with pretty damn tasty food, even if I do say so myself. And there was only one minor panic when everything started to come together all at the same time and I realised I'd forgotten to put the parsnips in the oven- which in my book, makes for a very successful experience. And any meal which involves conversations about which superpower you would pick (the ability to control time, always), near hysterical laughter, and moments when you look around the table only to think "I'm genuinely not sure I could be happier right now" can't be anything other than fantastic.


And yes, some parts of me miss the South West with its people and rolling hills, and no, it hasn't all been perfect so far and no, it will not continue to be perfect- but there's something great about this, and this whole being brave thing might, just might, be paying off.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations :) I'm pleased it's working out so well for you. And I hope you enjoy that 45 minute lie in! (6.15 is just craziness)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds amazing and like the move was really good for you - there is nothing better than the comforting glow of a great friendship group especially when first moving x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! It sounds like it is all working out for you. With all that lovely cake and company nothing could go wrong.
    That foggy photo is amazing - really lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased to hear you're loving life in Cardiff! Love your comment about the 'lay in' - I'm hopefully moving soon (not as far as you have!) but my move will have the opposite effect on my alarm clock! :( Miss you, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwwww you recently moved too! I moved from London to Newcastle 8 months ago to be with my boyfriend (my blog is about being in a new city) and whilst I LOVE the city I'm struggling to fully settle and make friends so it's good you have lots of people in your life to help you settle. I've been to Cardiff a fair few times and it's a really lovely city :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're enjoying Cardiff. It's one of my favourite places. I hope it keeps treating you well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that Cardiff is treating you well. x

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog