Friday, 17 January 2014

Birthday Girl

Today is my 24th birthday.


I've actually had a massive freak out about turning 24. I'm not sure why- many a person I know has panicked about turning 20 or 21, but after that most of my friends seem to be accepting their increasing age with far more dignity than I am. I am massively freaked out about the fact that I am now officially mid twenties, which sounds awfully grown up- and I am in no way, shape, or form grown up. I'm currently living in a friend's spare room, having just started a job which may or may not be a career for me. I just guess I always thought that by 24, I would be settled and acting like an actual grown up. In actual fact, I feel like a child with alcohol, to paraphrase my friend R.

23 was a good year. It was a happy year, and a properly grown up year. I'm starting 24 feeling unsettled, and a bit confused, but happy in all sorts of ways. I have my fingers very tightly crossed that this year will be as good as 23, and that I'll end it knowing even more about who I am as an adult. I'm terrified about turning 24 (mostly because I have an irrational fear of not being the youngest in my office- and I think at 24, there is every likelihood that a young 22 year old will sneak in and steal my Office Baby crown), but also really quite excited. 24 should be good.

And if not, there's always wine and cake.

15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday my lovely! Don't think of it too much of you're 24 and starting all these things.. think of it as this is the year you make a big, brave decision just for you. Because that's pretty amazing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I hope 24 is the best age yet x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, 24 will be incredible, I'm sure of it.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! 24 was flipping lush for me, but I know what you mean about the mid-twenties thing. I felt like that on my 26th birthday - I'm now officially closer to 30 than to 20, which is a bit scary. Hope you're having a splendid day with mucho cake and mucho vino :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I hope you're having a wonderful day :)
    It's my 24th birthday in a few weeks and I feel exactly the same - my dad was married and had a child by the time he was my age and I still feel like a teenager. I'm sure it will be a great year though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a very happy birthday, Alice. I hope 24 is kind to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a delightful birthday and enjoy making it last all weekend! I had the same thoughts when I was 24 and probably again when I was about 29 - I don't think anyone really feels like they're age as we all have different ideas of what it should feel like. I'll probably freak out again next month as I turn 32 - the age when my Mum had me. I still don't own a house, have no children and am in the first year of a new career but I'm happy. I guess I'll achieve all the other things in the end! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! Hope this year will be great for you. I've felt the same about turning 25 this year. When I was in my early teenager years, I always thought of mid-20s as a grown up, settled phase where I'd have my shit together properly. Your definition of "child with alcohol" is closer to reality than my childhood dream of myself as a grown up woman though; but I am fine with it. Now that I'll be crossing to the "other" side of 25 next year -which bothers me a little for some reason- I think I realize that even the "grown up" friends of mine don't know what they're doing and most of the people make it up as they go. Here's to a great inspiring year and if not, wine and cake indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you had a lovely birthday and you have a great year :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! I hope you feel more settled and content soon.
    Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little late :( But happy belated birthday to youuuuu!x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog