Wednesday, 22 January 2014

52 Lists: Things That Remind Me Of Home

A slightly bittersweet list to be honest, given I've just moved away. 

I've often wondered though- at what stage does your childhood home stop being "home"? Is it always "home" in your heart? Despite the fact that they haven't moved since she was a little girl, Mama CupandSaucer refers to my grandparents' house as "my mum and dad's"- not home. Yet my brother and his girlfriend each still refer to their parents' houses as "home". Perhaps it's when you buy your own home? Or have children? 

Either way, for the purposes of this list home will be my childhood home in deepest Devon. It's where the heart still remains, despite my love for Cardiff and my happy little existence here. 


1. The cat jumping onto my lap within seconds of me sitting down in the living room.

2. The smell of clean, clean air.

3. The feeling I get as I leave the dual carriageway and take the country roads across the moor- it's like going onto autopilot.


4. The view from my bedroom window (above)

5. My mum and brothers.


6. Sitting in the kitchen chattering over mugs of tea (this is the quickest way to make me feel at home anywhere)

7. Icy mornings, which make me think of how difficult it would be to leave the house if I were at home.

8. Feeling like I can unashamedly be both the best and worst versions of myself.

This post is part of the 52 Lists Project, as organised by Ema. Check out her blog for all the details!

8 comments:

  1. I still call my Mum's house 'home.' I guess I still think of Wales as home, I'm pretty sure if Mum moved, I wouldn't call it home anymore. And I own my own home!

    Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 'home' is a state of mind, rather than a geographical place - it's where the heart is, as they say. I moved away for uni, and for various reasons my childhood home just doesn't feel like 'home' anymore. It's funny how it changes over time.

    Rach
    Happy Chapess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home for me was always the home I grew up in, even when we had all moved out... However that is until I had my baby nearly three months ago now and home is the place I share with my fiancé and little one. There is a quote I like about home... 'A house is made of brick and stone but a home is made of love alone'.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful view you have from your window. Hmm "home" - moving countries has very much made me rethink home, while I was away at unversity in Newcastle my parents home, my room was still home. But that leap to the US, with my husband, home is with him, it's Michigan. It's not this apartment (I hate it) at all, it's the area. We'll be driving back from Pittsburgh and seeing the in-laws and as soon as I can see the Detroit skyline when we're heading north of we drive past the "Pure Michigan" sign at the border - I know i'm home. And in honesty, I never imagined feeling that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to think about what is 'home'. I'm almost 32, married and have lived in my own flat since 2007 but still refer to Mum and Dad's as home. And yet when I think about what home is it's a muddled up combination of my flat and Mum and Dad's. I guess 'home' does become a mash-up of your previous experiences and new routines and rituals that you introduce as the years go on. Another lovely list though. Lots to look forward to when you go 'home'. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post! I totally agree with struggling with the concept of 'home'. I think I will always refer to my parents' house as home because that's where I grew up - that will never change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely! I think it depends on the person, 'cos I'm only 18 and only moved to uni in september this year and still live at my parents house for the holidays but I now call uni home and my parents house my parents house but still sometimes call it home. For me home is where I am living at the time! When I stay in Ireland with my aunties if we're out for the day I'll call their home home too! "home is where the heart is" and my heart is def in all these places :)

    (lol deep comment)
    amazing post
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog