Friday, 27 December 2013

Twenty Thirteen

Well happy December 27th to you! I hope you all had a brilliant Christmas- mine was relaxed, full on, busy, and calm all at the same time, and I wouldn't have changed it for anything. 

I'm sure everyone will be doing these sorts of posts over the next few days, but there have been so many great things about this year that I kind of wanted to put together a year-in-review type post just to help me remember it all. Whether anyone reads it is actually kind of incidental (but I'd love it if you did, obviously). It's why I love snapping away at everything in sight- it's great to look back at everything that's happened over the past few months and remember all of the fun things that have happened! 

So without further ado, here is my 2013 (warning- it's pretty damn picture heavy)- 


In January I turned 23, and it snowed on my birthday for the first time ever (or at least, for the first time that I can remember!). I was also incredibly stubborn, and drove from my corner of Devon to Cardiff through mental snow to get to my uni buddies- which is still probably one of the most stupid things I've done all year.



February began with me starting this little piece of the internet! I still can't quiet believe that less than 12 months later, over two hundred people follow this blog on Bloglovin (you can join them by clicking here), and I think you're all great. I also changed jobs, and let myself in for an absolutely mental commute, and spent the most brilliant weekend at a friend's farm in Wiltshire.



Three weeks in to my new job, at the very beginning of March I had my car accident- as we know, I was perfectly fine, but my poor little car was written off (RIP Dot, you were marvellous). As a result of all of the stress, I chopped all of my hair off (again), and have spent the rest of the year trying to make it grow. My hairdresser aunt is now recommending Vitamin B12, but now I've seen it short again, I'm tempted to have it cut again. Someone stop me?!


In April I won a competition for the first time I think ever! I'm still working my way through all of the chocolate... I also did the Camel Trail in light snow with friends, and wore a ski jacket on Easter Monday because it was so bloody cold.


May was one of the quieter months of the year, I think. Even still, I managed to have a cracking weekend in London with my school bestie C, and fell ever so slightly in love with Greenwich- it's my new favourite part of London. We also had old family friends to stay for the weekend, and the twenty-something-year-olds all acted like big kids with a group trip to the Zoo.



One of the best months of the year was definitely June- where I was brave, got on a plane alone, flew halfway around the world, and spent two brilliant weeks in Thailand with M. I can honestly say that when 2013 started, I never expected to ride an elephant bareback, do headstands in a yoga class, peacefully raft down a river, spend a day in a cookery school, or have cocktails in a rooftop bar in Bangkok at sunset.


That said, July was inordinately brilliant for the sole reason of the birth of the Royal Baby! Seriously- I don't think I have ever cared so much about the birth of a baby I didn't even know (though Baby MadeUpOfLittleThings came a very close second). My main memories of July though involve alfresco suppers, sunbathing on lunchbreaks, and soaking up as much of the sunshine as possible, particularly on my few days away to Cornwall.


In August I continues soaking up the sun, and managed to squish in a day trip to London, where I had an interview for a position at Buckingham Palace. OK, I might not have got the job, but this was such a great thing to say I've done- though I'm sure in a year or two no one will believe that it happened.



2013 was the first September where I didn't start a new school year or new job- but I did start a brilliant new sport and met up with some amazing Devon-based bloggers, including the fantastic Jess. I was also invited to the Emma Bridgewater factory for the day, where I spent far too much money on brilliant crockery and cemented my reputation as being a middle-aged woman before my time. I can't wait to head back up there at some point!


I love October, even if this year's was probably the quietest month of the year (though not at work, where I finely tuned my multitasking skills!). I did however manage to squish in a visit to the newly-reopened Theatre Royal in Plymouth to see War Horse, which I can't recommend highly enough- you really must all go when it appears in a theatre near you. I promise, you will not regret it.

Picture courtesy of Bess
Without a doubt, the busiest month of 2013 was November, which involved trips to Birmingham, York, Cardiff, and away matches in Bristol. I met some of the most brilliant bloggers of all time, JennyBess, and Ellie, and spent far too much time emailing them, along with Emma and Emily, all of whom have turned into really brilliant friends. I also successfully interviewed for a new job, and made a mental six-layered birthday cake.


December has gone far too quickly for my liking. It predominantly my last day at work, a brilliant work Christmas party, being brave, festive baking with Little L, Christmas with the family, and an awful lot of Christmas shopping and wine. Which to be honest, has been the most brilliant end to the year I could have hoped for.

Of course, this year wasn't all sweetness and brilliance, but those are the moments I'm choosing to remember here. There were weeks where I cried every evening, expensive car repairs, arguments, broken nails, unsuccessful runs- but to be honest, I don't think it's always healthy to dwell on the bad things, and overall, I think this year has been a really great one. Come at me 2014!

8 comments:

  1. Your year was wonderful, you've done so much and I am so so so so SO proud to call you one of my dearest friends. Roll on 2014! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting year you've had, I love these sorts of posts. I don't think I realised you went for a job at Buckingham Palace, so exciting! Roll on 2014 and a PE meet up :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to hear you focusing on the good - you really have achieved so much this year! I hope that 2014 brings you everything you dream of and so much more. You deserve it! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay. What a fab year 2013 turned out to be. I was convinced it was boring as hell till I looked through old posts. Can't wait till February :)

    Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful year you have had! Best wishes for 2014!!!

    Meghan xo
    www.fancypantsandsugarshacks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post - you've had a great year! After reading about Thailand when you went I wanted to go :) you've gone to so many places in the UK, I just never have! Like why!? I should! Actually, you might know this, where is a good place to go camping in cornwall?! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Love it .

    Merry Xmas from Marbella xxx

    http://busyburt.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-to-mildly-annoy-parent-on-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lovely year! And you completely deserve every one of those 200 followers! :-) x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog