Friday, 20 December 2013

The Sense Of An Ending

Don't panic, I'm not going anywhere. Not from here at least.
Today is my last day in the office in my current job, and it feels incredibly weird. It has been a fantastic ten months there- I feel like I've learned and grown an awful lot, and in ways that I certainly didn't expect when I first got the job. I've definitely become more confident, happier within myself, a more confident driver (long commutes seem to do that to you), and while I'm still mildly scared of the phone, but I certainly no longer have to talk myself into using it. The job has definitely had its ups and downs- even yesterday was a particular low light, when I was reduced to tears by an email, and ended up staying considerably late to try to get some of my tasks finished- but generally, it has been an absolutely fantastic experience and I am so sad to be leaving the brilliant people I work with.

Then again, in some ways I can't wait to move on to a new job and start afresh, somewhere new where nobody knows me. Inevitably, I already have that feeling of "but what if they don't like me?", particularly because I seem to be very well liked in my current job. (I think it's mostly because I bring them cake at fairly regular intervals, and have become bloody good at my job. Fingers crossed I'll be able to make this continue!) I'm excited to try something different though- my new role is nothing like my current one, so I think I'll have my work cut out.

From here
Tuesday was also my last korfball training with the Exeter City club (by the way- if you've even been remotely interested when I've mentioned the sport before, and you happen to live in the Exeter area, there's a beginners session on 7th January. Go along, I promise they are all so lovely), and it was only after that session that it really hit me that I was moving away. I'm terrible at goodbyes, and I think I mostly just awkwardly waved when I left the pub after training on Tuesday, but I really am sad to be leaving them.

And of course I feel unsettled by all of this- no one really likes change, do they? But I really do now know that this is the right decision- I am doing the right thing, and this will be positive- and I will make the effort to keep in touch with the people I like best.

So yeah. Today is bringing with it a real sense of finality- a real sense that I am genuinely leaving, and will genuinely be starting again somewhere else. And while it's all sorts of sad, and I'll probably end up quietly weeping into my drink at the Christmas party tonight when it comes to actually saying goodbye to people, it's actually also really, really exciting.

(And only partly because it means that Christmas is next week!)
From here

4 comments:

  1. I have loved working with you for the past 10 months (and certainly NOT just for the cake! - although it is very, very good!). The office will not be the same without you and you will be sorely missed, but I am sure you will equally successful and popular in your new job.
    I wish you all the best and hope we can keep in touch. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a job well done. The transition is never comfortable but think of all the amazing new people you will get to work with now. I can't wait to hear all about the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck at your new job and the move! It was so lovely to meet you and I hope you have the loveliest of lovely Christmases!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in your new job A, you're going to do amazing things!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog