Sunday, 29 December 2013

Beach Baby


On Saturday, the family who descended for Christmas had all departed, the house was feeling very quiet, and Mama CupandSaucer and I decided we'd had enough of Christmas TV. So we packed ourselves into the car, armed with raincoats, wellies, and my camera, and headed towards the coast.

Living in Devon, you can never be terribly far from the sea- and while the little village I live in is very definitely landlocked, you can see the sea from the veranda at my dad's house, and you can drive to the coast in something like 30 minutes from our house.


We headed to Wembury- a little village and gorgeous, National Trust owned stretch of coastline just outside Plymouth, known for lovely rockpools, great surf, and Great Mewstone. As soon as we'd parked the car and I had my wellies on, I sprinted down to the beach to take advantage of the gorgeous winter light that was peeking through the clouds, and try to capture the waves breaking on the rocky shoreline.



The brave soul below was the only person in the sea- despite the pretty choppy water, he was doing a cracking job on his paddleboard. It's something I'd love to try one day- it looks so much fun, and is meant to be a cracking core workout.


We decided it would be a good idea to stroll the mile and a half (or so, the signs couldn't make their minds up) from Wembury to Heybrook Bay, along the South West Coast Path. It was horrifically muddy, but we had some gorgeous views of Great Mewstone (the rocky lump in the picture below), which apparently has been used as everything from a smugglers' safe haven to a prison. I can see why- the way the waves were breaking around it made me think that only the most seasoned of sailors would dare to try and land there, and you certainly wouldn't want to try to swim away from it...



We passed several small coves on our way, despite the high tide- and I can't resist climbing on rocks and looking out toward the sea. Because the sea was pretty rough, and I have a tendency to be pretty clumsy, I gave the camera to mum for safekeeping- and she put it to good use, snapping a few pictures of me looking mildly ridiculous. I can also confirm that the cream knee high socks were a really bad idea- they may have made me look faintly like Father Christmas with my black wellies and red jeans (unintentional, I promise), but they are now really rather muddy....



As we approached Heybrook Bay, the weather gradually improved, and I was able to happy snap even more, using the excuse that "the light had changed". Seriously, I haven't got the foggiest when it comes to photography, but fortunately neither does my mother and she was happy to wait while I merrily snapped away.



I'm always faintly astonished by the hardiness of people in the South West. As fun as it probably would have been to run screaming into the sea, unfortunately I'm just a little bit too wimpy to do it- but I'm pleased the surfers we encountered on our way back to the car weren't, as they were great fun to watch from the safety of our car whilst sipping flasks of tea and munching on a leftover chocolate orange.


I often find these limbo days between Christmas and New Year faintly challenging- I get cabin fever, grow bored of my surroundings, and can become fairly fractious. But this? This was a great way to spend a Saturday, and an even better way to spend a limbo day.

What have you been up to since Christmas? 

11 comments:

  1. Best day with your mama! How are you going to cope without her?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous way to spend a day! We normally head down to the coast around Salcombe for New Years as nothing beats beaches in Winter, especially in these transitional sort of days x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it around Devon and your photos are beautiful!

    Hallie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks lovely! I wish I lived near there xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely pictures and what a great day with your mom!

    Meghan xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures Alice :) looks like a perfect way to fill this weird little limbo week! My family have been getting cabin fever too- we're just not used to spending so much time in the house together... we're always out and about normally! We took ourselves off to the zoo yesterday for a bit of a break!
    Kaz at Sunshine Days x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photographs and what a great way to spend the day. I grew up by the Yorkshire coast and now feel so landlocked living in America's Mid West, I never thought I'd miss the seaside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to go to Devon, it seems so beautiful. Your pictures are really great and you're not the only one who gets Cabin Fever after Christmas time hah! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I imagine it was pretty darn chilly at the coast! You ended up with some amazing pictures though - and by the sounds of it a great day out!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flipping beautiful photos, Alice xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe people are messing about in the sea at this time of year, are they in touch with their inner polar bear? I do love a nice walk at this time of year, and the coast is both beautiful and dramatic in Winter. Lovely photos, Alice!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog