Monday, 25 November 2013

Happiness Is... (vol. 43)

As I was driving back from visiting friends in Cardiff this weekend, all I could think was "happy happy happy" (and "tired tired tired" but that's standard). Obviously I wasn't happy to be leaving them- though I will be seeing most again very soon- but I had such a lovely weekend, I'm going into this next week at work feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world. 

Some weeks, therefore, finding happy things to write about really isn't difficult. This week is one of those, and this week, happiness is...

From here
... finding out the collective nouns for things- like a ballet of swans, a bouquet of pheasants, and an exultation of skylarks. They're such fantastic phrases for things- I wonder who comes up with them!?

... the After Eight game. You know, that dinner party game where you have to try to get an After Eight from your forehead to your mouth without using your hands? We did this at Saturday night's dinner party, and it was hilarious- I strongly urge you to give this a go.

From here
... red wine. In the summer I tend to drink more white wine, but I am probably a red girl at heart. In particular, I am a very big fan of the delicious Bordeaux red M brought to dinner on Saturday night- you really can't beat it.

... enjoying yourself too much to check your phone. Normally, I am attached to my phone, and it really isn't ideal- I often don't feel like I'm really present, because I'll be texting, or instagramming, and so on. This weekend, I was too busy having fun to actually do very much on my phone, and it was lovely. Seriously, I barely even took photos on my phone, and that's a really unusual one for me.

From Rasberri Cupcakes
... carrot cake. As much as I love chocolate cake, and there's a permanent soft spot in my heart for a classic Victoria sponge, I actually think carrot cake may have sneaked up and become my current favourite cake. Maybe it's because I don't eat it very often? Either way, it's absolutely delicious, and feels like a real treat whenever I eat it.

What's making you happy this week?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely weekend! I also love all the crazy variations of collective words. And carrot cake of course :) this has lifted my mood on a Monday! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red wine and carrot cake? I girl after my own heart!

    Caroline x
    Cocktails and Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. A ballet of swans?! Could there be a more perfect name! Thats amazing!
    I'm the same with my phone! It so nice when something is so amazing you don't even care to look at it! Thats when you know times are good! Glad you had a lovely weekend & found it very easy to find the happy things :)
    Hope you have a lovely week & stay this happy! :)

    Charlotte xx

    http://hobbitsandhairdye.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. A flutter of butterflies is my favourite. I am not sophisticated enough for the after 8 game, I use chocolate buttons or any chocolate really. It is a fun game, maybe not one for a date though. It's a rule, like no spaghetti on a first date.

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog