Thursday, 31 October 2013

Who Am I?

Last night I tried to catch up a little with my blog reading, and I read a post in which Charlotte asked "who are you?". And in true Alice style, I got a little bit philosophical over this whole thing. It made me think- who am I? I'm sure Charlotte was only really asking for a name, so I'll start with that. But really- who am I? If I had a few words, and no agenda, how would I describe myself?

(As an aside, catching up also reminded me exactly why I love this whole blogging thing. Because reading the posts I managed to read through made me feel like I was catching up with old friends, and that was a rather lovely thing to feel.)

This is me. On my 21st birthday. Turns out, I like surprises/ chocolate cake with candles in it.
 I'm Alice.

23, though I have a tendency to forget, which is strange really, given that I'm a history nerd, though I suppose even with that I'm not very good at remembering dates. I am, however, a bit of a sponge for useless knowledge. It makes me fairly useful on a pub quiz team. 

I'm the middle child of two brothers and two half sisters, with one of each on either side of me. It makes for a fun conversation whenever anyone asks the seemingly innocuous question "So, do you have any siblings?". I don't think I suffer from middle child syndrome, though.



Cat lover. I'm a fan of dogs, don't get me wrong- but I am mostly just a bit of a cat person. I'm particularly a fan of Betsy, our kitty- or at least I was, until she hid a dead mouse in my boot on Friday. I still haven't quite forgiven her.


If I had to choose between deep-sixing either tea or coffee, I wouldn't even blink before getting rid of coffee for good. I have nothing against it, I just don't drink it. I was I was the sort of person who drank fancy coffees, but I'm not- if I drink it, it's either black or with the tiniest splash of milk. I am very certainly a tea drinker, and I can't remember the last time I went a whole day without a cup- possibly in Thailand, but even there I found my ways.  I'm also a huge chocolate digestive fan. In fact, I'm a biscuit fan in general, with the exception of ginger nuts. I am not, however, an eater of crisps.



It goes without saying, really, that I am a baker. But as this is an exercise in explaining who I am, I suppose baker has to be on the list. I am predominantly a maker of cakes, biscuits, and savoury pies. I'd like to add breakmaker to that list though- but as I don't eat a great deal of bread, that may take some time.

I'd like to describe myself as a runner, swimmer, and korfball player, though I almost feel as though that might be a bit dishonest- I am a good swimmer though. The other two receive my best efforts, and I'd certainly like to improve at both. If anyone has any tips as to how to improve my speed and stamina whilst running, I'd love to hear them.



In case you're wondering more about the where am I, I'm Devon lass, born in Manchester, and so entitled to call Birmingham "the north". I also maintain that the cream should always go on the scone (pronounced as in gone, not as in cone) before the jam. (Though I'm not getting into an argument about any of those things here. Let's agree to differ, shall we?)


Am I an introvert? I'm not sure. I'm certainly not one for demanding the spotlight- but I'm not averse to being the centre of attention. I do, however, need my own time and space every now and then. I am perfectly comfortable with silence, and get a sore throat if I talk too much in the course of a day or two.

I am a morning person. I get up the first time my alarm goes off, I have never hit a snooze button in my life, and I am a huge fun of 6:30am runs in the summer months. At this time of year, it's far harder, I'll grant you that. I am also a lover of flowers, chocolate, champagne, flying, porridge, red wine, blueberries, and teapots.


And some more words, which require less explanation, to finish: 
Polite. Smiler. Romantic. Dreamer. Planner. Impatient. Indecisive. Organised, but untidy.

So. Who are you?

7 comments:

  1. To add to the debate... I think if you pronounce it scone as in gone, you're supposed to put cream first.. however i pronounce it scone as in cone so jam goes first. It's all in the pronunciation, i think ;) ha! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alice. You and I, like chalk and cheese, but also frighteningly similar. I drink fancy coffee and eat crisps. I hate mornings. I can never see me getting up for an early morning run. I should probably try going to bed before 11.30pm. The snooze button gets hit at least twice a day.

    However I am also a runner, swimmer and korfball player. Big up the korf. We're the same on the introvert scale. Organised, but untidy - this is me all over. Can't wait to meet you next week lovely!!

    By the way it's scone (gone) and you definitely put the jam on first *blows raspberry and runs away*

    Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh your naughty cat! That's horrifying!!!! You're going to have to explain the cream first thing, it just doesn't make any sense to me! Happy to be properly educated, but don't you need to be able to spread the jam on first, and then dollop the cream on top? How does the jam spread on the cream?? Teach away...... xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I may have to do a post in reply to this!! This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! What an adorable post Alice. And you are right, it feels like hearing from a good friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good post! And yes Birmingham is North ;) one of my housemates is a brummie and I'm always saying that anything above London is North to me, not Midlands :P xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot wait to meet you you pretty little thing!! You're going to be made to talk so much that your throat will kill, just a warning ;). I'm talkative, opinionated, nice, thoughtful, organised, a runner, a dancer... and tired.
    (and I agree with Jenny, scone (gone) and jam first ;) )
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog