Thursday, 10 October 2013

Designated Caker




The last thing I felt like doing last night when I got in was baking cakes to take to work today. For some reason, we've decided to have an impromptu celebration of... something, and I was nominated as Designated Caker. It's a bit like being a designated driver, except you have to take cake and keep your own sugar levels under control whilst ensuring everyone else ends up high as kites.


I made two batches of the world's easiest chocolate cake, intending to make a double-layer 9 inch cake. But when the first cake came out of the oven, I decided that a 6 inch tall cake would be a little excessive, and turned the other half of my batter into 18 cupcakes. I topped the cupcakes with chocolate buttercream and hundreds and thousands, while the 9inch cake was covered with a chocolate ganache and a mound of smashed up Crunchie. I've decided I'm going to tell everyone it's a bonfire cake, or an homage to the fact that the fire alarms will not stop going off.


*Sorry about the quality of these pictures, and the number of cake/ chocolate/ baking related posts this week...!!

9 comments:

  1. NEVER apologise for baking posts! There can never be too many! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I am always designated cake baker in my office too. I swear people dont realise how much time it actually takes. I love the bonfire cake idea. I made some bonfire cakes last year using matchmaker chocolate sticks. Mel xx

    http://melonistaa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo you've inspired me to make some cakes today, that big cake looks incredible! xx

    www.opalwren.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. if i had you around i would definitely designate you as resident baker! these look SO good. x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the feeling - I'm the go-to cake baker in my office too :-)
    In the next month I've got 5 cakes to make (4 birthdays and a celebratory "meeting our targets" cake!) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugghh they look yum! Wish I could bake like that! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy!! Off to check out the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your baking posts and reading about your 'Bake Off' bakes, you make them all look so easy!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog