Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Winter Workwear

OK, OK, I know it actually isn't winter yet. Definitely still autumn. But let's face it- winter is coming (heh), and those of us in The Real World still have to go to work when it's cold and raining. Boo.

When I first started work, I really struggled with knowing what to wear- this whole "business casual" thing is pretty stressful, and makes getting dressed in the morning more difficult than it needs to be. I mean, in my office, people wear everything from black trousers and a t-shirt, to pencil skirts and blouses, to leggings and long tops, and 50s style dresses and high heels. We can pretty much get away with whatever we want- which sounds great but is actually really annoying. 

I'm planning on doing a whole "my week in workwear" post in a little while (when I get more organised), but until then I thought I'd share the sort of outfit I'm planning on wearing this autumn/ winter. Not because it's "fashion", but because I like knowing what other people wear to work- I actually find it inspires me more than any other sort of outfit post. 

SO. Without further ado (there was definitely "ado" there that time), this winter you'll find me wearing the following....



I am having a massive love affair with blazers at the moment- and while I haven't managed to get around to buying a black one just yet (they will forever remind me of my school uniform!), I could be convinced by something like the one above. For work, I love wearing slightly floaty dresses with blazers as for me, it's a bit girly without being over-the-top, and stays just the right side of professional. I actually own this dress, and it is the perfect length for workwear (for me, anyway- and I'm 5ft 3.5), as it falls just about the knee- which is pretty much always appropriate. And because it's got a slightly higher neck, I like wearing it with a longer necklace- currently, I'm coveting this Zara Taylor beauty. Isn't it gorgeous?!

We're also properly in to boot weather now, and I love these black boots- again, I have something a bit similar and they're great for work as they're a) pretty comfy, b) black, and c) actually still quite smart. They go well with just about everything and keep my feet dry. Wins all around!! 

Finally- this year is the year I buy a bobble hat. And when I do, it will be firmly on my head whenever appropriate, and probably for a little bit after. Because let's be honest, who doesn't love a good bobble hat!? I'm particularly keen on this one from Zara, but I'm thinking I'll go for a cream one, rather than black.

Do you struggle with workwear in the winter? Would you actually be interested in seeing a "what I wear to work" sort of post? I promise I'll try to make my face less awkward than my last attempt at an outfit post?

4 comments:

  1. Oooo. That dress and jacket are rather lovely. Now in my office I think everyone would think, 'bloody hell she's dressed smart today, does she have an interview?' On the rare occasion I have worn a skirt eyebrows have been raised. Jeans, converse and a tshirt are the go to uniform in my office. I find when I lapse towards this I desperately want to dress smart again. Makes me more productive. I'd love to see some workwear posts!

    I didn't have you down as a shorty by the way :P I'm going to dwarf you! Not really, I'm 5'8!

    Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been wanting to get black angle boots forever. but i'm scared that it will cut my legs off to look even shorter than they already are! (i beat you at 4'11"!) that dress is so lovely. x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those boots! Footwear is one of the hardest things for me to transition from summer to fall to freezing winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that dress! I have a bit of a failing when it comes to wearing shorter length boots, they don't look right on me, I wish they did though, those and really nice!

    Kate
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog