Sunday, 1 September 2013

Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf


I've recently got back into baking with a vengeance. It could be the impending autumn, it could be the return of the Great British Bake Off, or it could be the fact that I'm happy at the moment- and while some bake while they're stressed (step forward, Lizzie McGuire), I bake when I'm happy. A lack of baked goods is the way most people know there's something bothering me.


Of course, last week I made the angel food cake. But before I did that, I made a banana loaf. 

I know some people are banana loaf purists- no spices, no walnuts, no raisins, and certainly no chocolate chips. Fortunately for you, I am not one of those people. For me, banana loaf just feels a little bit too virtuous- if I make a plain one, I inevitably end up covering my slices with nutella or peanut butter and honey. I need something more from my banana loaf than just a really banana-y flavour (though if that's what you're after Rosie's recipe looks amazing).

This is rather adapted from a Hummingbird Bakery recipe. I like their ideas, but often they need a bit of tweaking, don't you think? This recipe can easily be made with a bowl and a spoon- no KitchenAids required.

Ingredients
200g soft brown sugar
275g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mixed spice (or use a combination of cinnamon/ ginger/ nutmeg as you see fit)
3 overripe bananas
150g butter, melted
2 eggs
100g dark chocolate (in chip or chunk format)

Sift the flour and raising agents into a large bowl, and mix with the sugar and mixed spice. Whisk your eggs in a mug (or bowl, if you want) until they're frothy. In a separate bowl, mash your bananas, then combine with the eggs and melted butter. Add your banana mixture to the flour mixture, and stir well to combine. Add your chocolate chips, then pour into a loaf tin (either lined or greased and floured). Bake at 180C for 45 minutes to an hour- after 45 minutes, check it ever now and then until your skewer comes out clean, and use your judgement. Ovens and loaf tins vary!


Happy Sunday everyone. It's finally September. Time for new beginnings and tights and boots.

6 comments:

  1. That really looks so yummy!

    www.marsjambelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need one of these to appear magically on my table right now. It's too muggy in NY to bake today. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love banana bread, and I love chocolate. Why did this thought never pass my teenie brain?! Need. I so need.

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...this looks delicious! I shall be thinking longingly of it tomorrow when I bake my diet-y loaf of gluten-free banana bread. I suppose I could chuck some chocolate chips in, but I'd lose the virtue!

    Angela xx
    Little Apple Tree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You're baking again :) this looks yummy! Everything is better with chocolate in it ;)
    Kaz at Sunshine Days x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness gracious me this looks absolutely fantastic!xo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog