Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Creativity

I'm not sure what it is, but every autumn I get a little burst of creativity. 
It's weird, because I'm not really that creative- I was dreadful at art in school. Yes, I can bake, but I don't tend to make up strange new combinations, and I'm certainly not one of those people who can make incredible fondant decorations- I mean, look at what an ex-colleague made - aren't they exceptional?! I couldn't dream of doing something like that. These cups were the most creative thing I'd done in a long time. 

For the past couple of winters, I've been hand sewing a quilt- which makes me sound like an eighty-year-old, yes- and I'm starting to get to the end of it. Last night, I finally finished all of the patchwork panels, and I'm so pleased about it. Now I just need to work out how to order them, sew them together, and then work out the whole padding and backing thing. (Fortunately my brother's girlfriend is seriously good at this whole sewing malarky, and has promised to help me with this next bit).

Working out which order to put them in is rather stressful...
But now that I'm nearly finished with this, I'm looking for a new project. I've given my mum one- she's an amazing knitter, and is currently making me a Christmas jumper- but I'm not a particularly good knitter. And when I was in Cardiff at the weekend, my friend M showed us the beautiful job she'd done of painting some furniture- so I'm definitely thinking about giving something like that a go.

From here

I think even I  could manage something like this. From here 
I'm getting so many ideas of things to do from Pinterest though. Given that the C word is coming up, I'm thinking of making something kind of festive... possibly some sort of wreath, or decorations? I'm not sure...

Isn't this amazing? From here
Dying to make these... From here
From here
On a related-but-not-really note, I also love cool wrapping ideas. Aren't these gorgeous?

From here
From here
Are you creative? If so, send some of your creativity in my direction. I promise I'll put it to good use!

6 comments:

  1. love the patterns on the quilt. and the stencil pillow is an awesome idea; might have to do that when i get my own place/furniture.

    i'm not really sure if you'd say i was creative, but i do enjoy crafting - particularly sewing and cross stitching. i've recently bought myself a new scrapbook to transfer my old scrapbook and photos from my wall into.

    i quite often post stuff i've made on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cups and saucers are so cute! Will definitely have to try this!
    I'm really into making things and upcycling and often paint old furniture to sell. This christmas (which is SO close!) everyone is getting handmade gifts. I'm attempting this toy box for my niece : www.notonthehighstreet.com/thecomficottage/product/handmade-toy-box-storage-seat

    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep going with the quilt. I finished one that I'd made a couple of years ago and I felt so proud of myself. Reading this has made me want to make another one. Or do something creative at least, but I don't have a creative bone in my body. I guess I'll have to start looking through Pinterest for an idea to steal too

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed by your quilt!
    I have several t-shirts from college that I'm saving to make a quilt but let's just say, they are still in boxes. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the bunting card, Id have never thought about that, but I'm totally going to steal it.
    ALSO LOOK WHOS THINKING ABOUT CHRISTMAS NOW!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, huge well done for having the patience to get that far with your quilt! It looks fab and I'm sure it will certainly be well worth it when its finished :-) x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog