Thursday, 26 September 2013

Blackberries


I think blackberry picking is my absolute favourite thing about this time of year. Sunday felt so autumnal, with the grey skies, fallen leaves, and an excuse to put on my favourite ankle boots to hunt down one of my absolute favourite fruits.


Every year Mama CupAndSaucer go blackberry picking. We used to go the weekend before I'd head back to uni, but clearly this year (and last, for that matter), we just picked a random September weekend. We weren't actually expecting to find a great deal- people have been talking about blackberry picking for weeks, it seems- but we came home with nearly three kilos of the bad boys.


Sorry for the strange face here... Also, I'd recommend that if you're going blackberry picking, a white dress and tights are not sensible clothing options.


We decided to freeze the majority of the berries, as blackberries go off seriously quickly. We've found the best way to do this is to lay the blackberries on trays and freeze like this, before putting them into tubs once frozen. I'm planning on using the frozen berries in some sort of baking- I'm sure I'll let you know what when I've done it- and possibly using some to make blackberry gin. For the record, this is what 2.5kg of blackberries on trays looks like...!


I did save a few from the freezer though- blackberries are perfect in porridge, particularly when it's spiked with cinnamon and vanilla, with chunks of apple stirred through too.


If you haven't been blackberry picking yet, you might still be in luck- when we were out, we found an awful lot of berries which were still waiting to ripen. And if you have- what did you do with yours? (Other than just eating them, obviously)

11 comments:

  1. This is something I do every year with my nan but for some reason we have't got around to it yet! That's a great idea to freeze tham on trays first. Looking forward to seeing what you bake with them : )

    Gemma x

    http://musings-of-a-gem.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now I want to pick blackberries too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! I'm so jealous! Blackberry season ended in DC in August and I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been absolutely years since I went blackberry picking,now living in Plymouth I'm not sure where I'll be able to find them hmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG i wanna go blackberry picking! I think picking fruit is soooo relaxing and it's so nice to work and do something with your hands outside and inhale all that fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went blackberry picking about three weeks ago, we found hardly any but I really enjoyed it. I don't think I ever went when I was younger. Looks like you got plenty. I definitely think you need to make gin with them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We managed to get some a couple of weeks back but nowhere near as many as you!
    I made some into Apple and Blackberry Cake and then froze the rest. The problem is I forget they're in the freezer; when I moved all the stuff round in the freezer to make room for the new blackberries I found one tub which had been in there since last year! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, aside from on Blackberry farms I don't think there are any blackberry trees in Australia! We have a mulberry tree in our back yard which we raid every time they are in season though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only been blackberry picking once and loved it! Though like you expressed, I probably should have chosen wiser with what I wore. I went with shorts and flip flops and my feet got bit all over by ants and my legs stung by mosquitoes. But hey, blackberries! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum, how fun! i'd love to pick blackberries, i'm not sure if i have a place close to me to do so! looks like a lovely time.

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. We went for a walk along the Bristol-Bath cycle path yesterday and there were thousands and thousands of blackberries. Vicious thorns, though. It was just a shame that I'm not a blackberry lover and also that we didn't have anything suitable to put them in. (I was unwilling to sacrifice my handbag :P)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog